the what have you done today thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by scootzmadness, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    That would involve a partial dismantle of components though.;).

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    trust me when you hear this your gonna say " the cowboy detroyed the variator - belt - clutch and rollers for sure lol hahahahaha "

will grab a video and upload for members so they know what a knackered variator sounds like lol : heres the video guys what do you think ? lol

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

One thing,
    When my vx died like that it took the oil pump cover out too.
    The fault on mine was a roller split, which then acted its force upon the rest of the vario, at 75mph on a turn...

4. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    yep im stuffed if that has happened i cant afford a rebuild or replace motor or casings

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Its not a whole new casing, just a sort of round cover/plate behind the vario about the size of a cd.
    Ordered an ultrasonic washer....
    And some parts for the pug.
    So much work so little time and space.
    The kawa 6 cylinder is back, needs new inlet rubbers.

6. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    sweet on the cleaner ...... bike shop said the words i did not want to hear " sounds like bottom end has gone " when i played them the video :(

7. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Sounded good for 1940's tractor.:):).

8. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Being from norfolk you know we like our tracktor sound systems lol , its a cross between a old ford red and a honda generator lol hahahaha, i should of named it Fonda the not so honda lol

9. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I dont think its the bottom end.
    Stevep will agree, sounds like something clonking around in the tranny case

10. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    yeah had a dig around in the small inspection hole underside of the vairator case and pulled out a lovely long garnet of thread, guess the belts never been changed and it decided to shread and delaminate itself doing 55mph on a major highway lol.

11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Fetch the side off and get stuck in.
    You're gonna have loads of threads wrapped around everything, clutch pulley as well.
    New belt, new rollers, put it back together and see if the noise is still there.

12. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Off on the jollies across europe tomorrow for 2 weeks, I'll post some pics as we go...................if I can sort out my little laptop that is.

scubabiker likes this.
  13. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    enjoy the ride buddy , plug phone in then share the internet from phone to the lappy ;)

14. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    today i armed myself with philips dual screwdrivers a 2ft long break bar and a 19mm duty socket and i cracked of the vespa's leader engine clutch nut.
    i then took to the casing with an 8mm socket and ratchet wrench and removed that. the attachments are WHY YOU SHOULD DO BELT INSPECTIONS !!!!!

remember i locked up doing 55mph and this is why, that is the stock piaggio belt fitted in 2000 see how even the belt toothing had delaminated and the whole belt then started to rot away, its no wonder it even lasted that lon in the first place, So be sensible scooter owners and zip that variator case of your scooter now and again to check the state of wear on your belt, do not let yourself end up like i nearly did sqished meat between a trucks tyres .

Attached Files:

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  15. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Sounds like you got yourself a 'back in the day' when this happened to me - but in your case it happened to be true....;),luckily you flew through it & came out the other side still breathing.:).
    Good post.!,be having my lil Zip upstairs tom.for a re-commision 1 thing i'll cetainely be clocking (after brakes.;).:).

16. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

still waiting on parts....
    cant wait for my new ultrasonic washer!
    arghh!!!!
    been doing housework today.

17. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Yep buddy, was a luck old fellow, a younger rider i think would have been truck meat, it just goes to show that experiance is everything and road handling, i hope this opens up the eyes to our younger members and they now think twice when they look at their scoots and say in their heads " ah it can wait for another day "

30 min job just to unzip the side case and have a quick peak compared to months and months of rehabilitation or worse still spent in hospital. just shows that checking your scoot can be life or death. ....... what gets me is its a shame that the belts are not a check point in MOTS , they should be i think , yes its more work for a mech but its knowing that machine is well and true fit for the road pippa only had an mot two weeks before that happened and by the look of the belt it would have failed an mot right away if they were checked

18. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Spent most of the afternoon fixing a Malaguti grizzley 10 , previous owner couldnt find a shock to fit so fitted a solid steel bar in its palce locking the whole rear end up solid , godson purchased bike but with him teaching his little lad to ride and it being locked solid its snapped the rear lower shock hanger off. he then got a lad to weld it back BUT without jigging up the rear swingarm and the heat has cause the swingarm to become outta whack.
    so today i get a call from his mum " please come round the boy is chucking the bike around the garden and kicking it " i trun up to find a malaguti in many pieces with him trying to compress a 60lb spring by hand , yeah he was sold a uprated pitbike shock as a malaguti grizzley 10 replacement direct fit . it wont fit theres a inch or so needed and the shock just wont budge, i tried everything . so we have had to throw on the locked solid bar again so lad can aleast ride it around the field. its that bad that the rear wheel rubs the chain thats how far outta whack this idiot welded the swing arm up again without jigging it first.

spent the last 45 mins trawling for a used but healty malaguti rear swing arm , wheel adjusters, wheel shims, im hopeful i can get a spring compessor if not i will just cut a coil off then run the adjuster up a notch once its on it will do till we can get a new swing arm .

tried to cut a variator tool this morning to fit pippa but no joy, my aircraft grade alloy plate just aint gonna hold the toothing enough, so i am going to have to stub up and by a variator locker. also gotta get a torque wrench then try find a piaggio dealer that can tell me the torque setting for the clutch nut and front variator nut, my manual has all the torque settings for the flywheel side but nothing for the clutch nut or variator nut. its also one of those use once bloody nuts to on the variator so i may even have to find one of those also. ARGGHHHHH piaggio vespa why are you so bloody backwards thinking.

19. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Now you see why ive gone to cubs mate, piaggio are just tragically bad to work on.

20. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    aye but i gotta say the old leader motors are good if kept ontop of, just didnt expect all this coming right after a full mot got passed on it.
    well i rodered in a 20-110nm torque wrench so that should see me good to get that front variator and rear clutch nut buttoned up 110nm is around 80ft/lbs so should be well enough to button those back on again.

just gotta order in a variator locker, i really dont wanna be shoving a screwdriver into the fixed half pulley teeth to lock it or find i punch a hole into the oil sump case and have to replace that, hopeful pippa should be back on the road by the weekend if not weekend after.