the what have you done today thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by scootzmadness, Jun 9, 2014.

1. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    thought itd be cool to make a what have you done today thread, not a ped thread but just general stuff you've done today.

ill start.

towed a merc sprinter to Mercedes with my ford.
    rode my bike.
    got soaked by rain.
    sat in the office and played freecell. drank a cup of tea. thought about taking a look at a ford KA that came in. told apprentice to do it. looked at triumphs. argued with Mercedes. drank another cup of tea. had lunch. drank some more tea. went for a ride in the sun to the bank. chatted up the bank lady. failed miserably. fired the apprentice for dangerous conduct (didn't tighten a wheel up and almost let a customer drive it) changed a set of tyres. had another cup of tea. went home.

you?

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

He's an apprentice, he should be supervised at all times and any work he does should be checked before it is released to the customer. If he missed something or does something wrong then it should be pointed out in such a way as it can be understood easily, then shown how to correct it and told to pay more attention to what he is doing. Sacking him for screwing up is the wrong way, sacking the person responsible for supervising him is the right way. If we all got fired for screwing up as apprentices, we'd never learn from our mistakes, and there would be no-one on here who could do anything.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  3. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    he knows that he should be checking + tightening all of the wheel nuts to the correct torque using a torque wrench. its the first thing you learn when you enter that garage, theres no need for a apprentice to be supervised at all times, the only time he enters the workshop is when there is another mechanic in there and there were two. he has done it all in college too, he knows that he should do it all with a torque wrench, he was lucky I spotted it before the customer took the car. if it was my choice, he would of got a good talking to in the office, sent home for the day and then not trusted until he earns trust via doing smaller jobs. I was simply following orders from above.
    the fact that he has screwed up twice before, once with a tyre and another where he failed to write down a vehicle defect on fleet maintenance sheet (his responsibilities). I was simply following orders.

the only reason I noticed it was because I checked the car just before the customer took it. I now also have to have a word with the two mechanics we have tomorrow. IF he is ever aloud to come back, then he will be on simple duties, washing/valeting cars for a few weeks. but again, not my choice - following orders from above.

if I did something like that on a simple job like he was doing when I was starting out then id of expected the same. we expect a high standard, he knew that when he came, he screwed up three times, not my problem. if hes not coming back full stop then theres always more apprentices we can take on. ive informed his college and his mechanics tutor understood where we were coming from. if the customer took that car, the wheel came off and the accident ended being a fatal then it would be on my bosses neck, if you screw up three times in a short amount of time then clearly you are incompetent and cant be trusted. plenty more apprentices out there.

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

woke up, screamed in pain because i forgot about the surgery. rode to work on the scoot to drop off my sick note and speak to my boss about the surgery. bought a mouse for the laptop so i can get good at cad whilest im doing bugger all. rode to NAV and gave them the sick note, came home and played gta for a bit, now im here and typing, still typing, continuing to type.....

5. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110,NE50MFF,SCV.
    Nothing like swinging your leg outta bed in the morning-
    forgetting 'bout the day before.......is there.

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

quickest wake up ever!

7. supraking

supraking Well-Known Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX125
    Went to work. Nipped into town before coming home. Got absoloutly soaked. Dried off lol

8. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110,NE50MFF,SCV.
    The true meaning of-
    W....T....F.............................. .

9. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110,NE50MFF,SCV.
    Went to 6 shops today,to check on the prices of 2t..specific for the scoot.as filled up X3 (petrol),but as of yet.had'nt actually had to buy any,as came with a ltre....was surprised at prices-
    bit old school,gonna have to re-adjust my budget,eeep.o_O.

10. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    got up, treat day today so went to the café, full English breakfast x2 plus 2 cups of tea.
    went to work. changed some tyres. played some freecell. did all the paperwork ive been needing to do.
    tried to start the bike to go and do some running about and getting a few parts. wouldn't start. fuck.
    took the van instead. ended up rescuing some blonde bimbo who rolled her car, that's a lovely £180 earned right there + whatever storage costs we get from it at £10 a day.
    did a service - shouted at the mechanics a bit about yesterday. played some freecell. drank some tea. went home.
    I may possibly have the best job ever.
    need to figure out why bike wont start though.

11. bogey

bogey Active Member

Glad I don't work with you.

12. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110,NE50MFF,SCV.
    Why am I thinking......
    'Till Tommorow'.:).

13. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    a lot of people are glad they don't work with me.
    don't like me, kiss my ass. I am who I am. while im running the place, ill do what the fuck I like, I have my responsibilities which I get done, I spend most of the day running around and doing paperwork and going out and recovering cars. there will be more of a ranting at them tomorrow - somebody has scratched the bosses wifes car. im the least of their worries.

14. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Castrol Acteve 2T oil is what i use, nice and thin to get through the oil line, £9.99 a litre from Halfrauds.
    Don't use the green mineral stuff from the petrol stations, its too thick.

15. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110,NE50MFF,SCV.
    I think i'll check for that,got a Halfraud's not 1/2 mile from me....pretty sure I saw similar or same,ta.

16. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

also dont use the cheap oil as it wrecks your motor, ive known a guy with an sfx that clocked way over 90k km without ever needing a rebuild, compared to the people that use cheap 2t oil that will have a rebuild/new rings/exhaust in maybe 12k km. big difference

17. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110,NE50MFF,SCV.
    Checked Halfrauds,they got it,i'm getting it -
    end of.!.,:).;).

scubabiker likes this.
  18. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

we sell that at work, never used it myself, i always use the slightly more expensive stuff (power scooter is it?) the people with older 2t bikes (rg/ts/gt etc etc) use the activio 2t and swear by it so must be pretty good

19. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110,NE50MFF,SCV.
    Clocked a no.plate light for the V/C,have to wait till home.to correspond no.'s-
    match = i'm havin it.:) .

20. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

i walked SANS crutches today! my knee seems to be healing fast! its still painful and swollen but its better than yesterday! got docs tomorrow to discuss the results of the scan and op...