The oil thread!

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Renllek, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Renllek

Renllek Member

what 2t oil does every one use?

If answers could please include things like, whether you premix or not, ratio of mix and also state of tune of the engine, if its semi synth, full synth, mineral or ester. And how you find it over other oils

I only ask as paranoia is getting the better of me, between oil pump failure and oil low level warning light failure is enough to make me think of moving to premix. No other reason, before anyone tells me that it has no benefit to a low level of tune.

Did try and search for an answer but i find the search function on this site a little lacking, i did a search ANY threads with 'oil' in the title and on got 0 hits. surely at some point this topic has been raised/discussed

2. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

I have just gone to premix for those very reasons of not wanting my autolube to reck my sweet running 17year old engine, I use Castrol 2t fully synthetic and started of at 40:1 and have just dropped to 50:1 bikes running great! All stock except sports pipe and surpporting mods

3. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Pedro : sym jet eurox fully derestricted sport pipe , 17.5mm carb with a 80 mainjet , stock airbox running on 96 ron ultimate unleaded , stock oil autolube, got scooter with rock oil used in the tank , i forgot to ask owner exact brand but it was a fully synth. i let the oil get super low in the tank and then topped up with YAMALUBE semi synth 2t mix oil . its not the usual red colour oil this is a honey yellow oil costs £10 a litre .

i could not fault the yamalube, its a mid price oil compared to some brands and being yamaha brand if they use it in there bikes why not use it in a tiawaniese scooter. smoke wise the usual for a twostroker a good puffing billy from the exhaust pipe and the instant smell of a twostroker .

Idiot light : aka oil low lamp ...... to be very honest i do not trust them its not hard for them to become stuck/ jammed or just fail to illuminate so i got into the habit of lifting the seat unscrewing the cap and just having an eyeball, if it looked a little low i would grab the bottle and top up , usually i was dumping around 100ml into the tank on checking and i did this every few days , NOT every tank refill but once or twice a week atleast, that way my mind was a rest and i could see if things were a bit off,

autolubes tend to meter around 20-30ml for every litre of fuel used , i know my sym jet sent 22ml of oil for every litre of fuel used .
    most scooter service manuals will give you the metered autolube amount ( autolube testing )

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Never use cheap own brand oil. Use castrol,motul or the likes and your cylinder will outlast your crank bearings.
    I swap between motul and castrol, never use anything else, and I never use mineral, always synth or semi synth.