TGB 304 not starting.

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by michael8t6, Sep 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. michael8t6

michael8t6 New Member

Hi,

Yesterday I changed the base gasket of the top end on my tgb 304 sport due to a small leak. When I took the head off, I ensured it was at TDC, had a look at the valves, rings and bore to make sure there was no obvious damage, and gave them all a clean.

After I put it all back together, the ped started absolutely fine on the touch of the button. I took it out for a quick ride to make sure it was running as it should be. Overall it sounded fine, idle was a tad high, figured I may have knocked the idle screw whilst man handling the carb. It did feel a little less responsive than usual, again I put that down to the throttle cable maybe being a bit slack and planned on looking into that today.

After returning from my ride, I turned the ignition off, set up my ramp to bring it back into the house. Upon trying to start it again, it refused to start.

So far I've checked:

Battery -> Fine.
    Spark plug -> Fine, nice healthy spark.
    Carb -> Bowl's filling with petrol.

Is there anything less obvious I should check before dropping the engine out again?

Unfortunately the screws holding the bowl onto the carb are rounded, assume previous owner didn't know his own strength. So I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to ease them out to check the needles.

I'm pretty much learning as I go here, reading/watching information as I go, so apologies in advance if I come across a bit clueless.

The bike is a TGB 304 sports, the engine is apparantly a TGB G8, however, when I first got the bike the kick start didn't start. When I was fixing this, the gears for the kick start had GY6 written on them and the engine itself is pretty much identical to a GY6.

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Valve clearance ?

3. michael8t6

michael8t6 New Member

So turned out to be the timing chain had slipped off the cam shaft.

As soon as I see it, my heart sank, was expecting the piston to have a beautiful dent in it, along with a damaged valve but they all looked fine. Going to assume it slipped as I switched of the ignition.

Double checked the tensioner, that was fine, luckily I had a spare chain, replaced it and all seems fine now.

The ped has over 35,000 miles on it, and I can only assume it's never been replaced.

One more quick question though, in regards to the loss of responsiveness. I've double checked the throttle cable and it's not loose as I assumed.

From a quick google, suggestions are:

Cylinder pressure
    Clutch spring and/or rollers
    Possible carb issue

Any other suggestions? Pretty much, as soon as it gets around 30-40mph, it's fine, it's only from stationary that it feels slow to respond. The sound of the engine is fine, it picks up revs fine, decreases revs fine, no boggy sounds.