Tail light not working but brake light works?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by wwguilau, Aug 11, 2014.

1. wwguilau

wwguilau New Member

Hi,
    i have a nrg mc2, the brake lights work, however the tail light doesn't work? I have replaced the bulb etc , does any body know why it wont work? thanks

2. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Check the electrical connections from the stator up to the light switch, especially the ones to the regulator/rectifier. The horn, brake lights and starter work of the battery's DC circuit, but the head an tail lights work from an AC circuit from the stator. On a lot of bikes, the large multi-connectors behind the front fairing can work loose.

If the headlight is working, then the tail light filament in the bulb has blown.

MARSH likes this.
  3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

or you may find that the wire is broken behind the light itself. It passes through a hole in the rear of the frame and easily gets snagged and chopped over time.

4. Kev Clark

Kev Clark Member

Rides:
    Lexmoto Zoom 2 125
    Hello I've got the same Problem did you find a fix?

5. Leeder

Leeder Member

i had this problem. turns out the bulb needed turning abit as crud or something blocked the connection, give it a twist. worth a try

6. Kev Clark

Kev Clark Member

Rides:
    Lexmoto Zoom 2 125
    Mine was exactly the same the bulb wasn't in properly after installing it right my bike was fine

7. Leeder

Leeder Member

glad you sorted it:) a simple thing like that can have you pulling your hair out.

Kev Clark likes this.
  8. Kev Clark

Kev Clark Member

Rides:
    Lexmoto Zoom 2 125
    Yeah it did mate I had the bike stripped down looking for a fault in the wireing. Nightmare haha.

9. Leeder

Leeder Member

i know the feeling! i couldnt work out what was up with it as everything checked out with the multi meter, and it wouldnt of passed the mot. i didnt know weather to laugh or cry when i finally sussed it;)

its the first thing i do now when lights play up.