Sym jet

Discussion in 'Pictures' started by Tamiyacowboy, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    This is pedro or to others its a Sym jet red devil / basi x / euro x ....... got this a year ago in a bad state of affairs , 6 owners and just run into the ground, last owner deceided to rattle can spray it in a satin/matt black without removing the panels. yeah they blasted it badly , coated the speedo, warning lights on dash, never etch primer'd the inner panels and also went straight over the decals. poor thing was in a state.

fast forwards a year, its had a new pipe fitted, a larger 17.5mm carb and a 80 jet upsize , whole new rear pulley and clutch, new belt , new rollers, new uprated front headlight bulb (30% brighter than stock) , in all including diagnostic tests and labour -parts close to 1k

over the past few days i have stripped of the panels, prepped them with a wet sand with 1500 grit wet n dry 3m paper and a wipe over with isopropol alcohol , they had 3 coats of halfords gloss black 2x 500ml rattle cans, and sprayed out side in the wind ( no booth or flashy gun here ). i do have some orange peel effects but nothing a second wet and dry wet sand wont flatten out and a quick dust over. but its looking 100x better than it did before ( front mudguard shows the before paint job as does the front forks )

Attached Files:

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Shame you're not closer to me..........................

3. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    aye buddy, but i will bash on with it once the summer heat comes round, will grab a set of fan spray nozzles so i can get a better fan , will also grab some super fine wet n dry , ill go to town on it then hand buff to a shine.

april/may just aint a good idea to spray stuff outside lol, im going to have to clear out some of the rubbish in greenhouse so i have a baking/makeshift spray booth lol......... really should try to make up a air res , my little airbrush just aint upto the job of large coverage areas lol

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Your orange peel effect is because it went on too thick.
    It can be sanded out and over painted.
    Try using a high build primer

5. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    aye never really thought about that i kept a good distance away from panels and tried not to thick it on , but you know spray cans lol one flow rate for all lol ........ the whole panel sides have took a beating what i thought was just sticker was sticker and road rash lol they need a real good sanding out or a real good thick HB primer/filler .

good thing is from a distance it looks great lol but get to close you can see its got problems lol