suzuki ug110 hokuto no spark

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by skikman, Sep 27, 2020.

1. skikman

skikman Member

bought this wee scooter as a non runner. was told it was going before being left in garage to go to collage.
    it is turning over fine but no spark at plug. i've tried another coil i had but still no spark. have taken off connector blocks and cleaned them but still no good. is there a kill switch on these i dont know about?
    also when i turn the ignition on only indicators and brake light work. does main lights need engine running before they will work?
    any thoughts on what i should try next folks?
    its a 2001 model

2. Shunty

Shunty Member

Rides:
    Baotian BT49QT-9
    Not sure of that model but if has a side stand that will cut ignition if down
    Need to check stator as well
    Most scoots of that age the headlight works with engine running

3. skikman

skikman Member

no side stand . how will i know if stator is bad ?

4. Shunty

Shunty Member

Rides:
    Baotian BT49QT-9
    Don't forget to take spark plug out first as will turn over faster

Ignition Winding:

Depending on your stator type, you have either 6, 8, or 11 windings. Of these windings, one is dedicated to supplying the CDI with ignition power. This winding is usually wrapped in white cloth material and sealed over with clear epoxy.

Trigger pickup:
    A simple type of crankshaft position sensor. Sends a signal to the CDI to let it know when to send fire to the plug.

Troubleshooting the Stator:

1. Set your multimeter to read in VOLTS “AC”.
    2. Locate and disconnect the Black/Red and Blue/Yellow wires coming from the stator, where they plug into the main engine harness. (These are both bullet-style connectors)
    3. While cranking the engine, use a multimeter to check for voltage coming from the Red/Black (CDI power wire) and the Blue/Yellow (trigger wire) coming from stator. Place the black lead of multimeter on a metal surface of the engine while using the red lead on the tips of the wires.
    4. There should be between 20vAC ~ 100vAC coming from the CDI power wire (Black/Red), although much lower voltages will still be able to produce spark.
    5. There should be at least 0.05vAC coming from the trigger wire (Blue/Yellow).
    6. Write the voltages down and continue to the next step.
    Minimum values:
    Stator output: 20vAC minimum
    Trigger output: 0.01vAC minimum

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

5. skikman

skikman Member

thanks for that shunty. will get at that next time im free. flat out working atm

6. skikman

skikman Member

right i have just noticed that when i have the sparkplug out and grounded. if i move the 2 wires that go the coil there will be an electric spark at the plug when the ignition is turned on. strange. should there be any power going to the coil with just the ignition turned on ? cant find a short in the wires

7. Shunty

Shunty Member

Rides:
    Baotian BT49QT-9
    Not sure of the ignition on that model, but sound to me it has a DC type ignition system
    Maybe some one else on here can say