suzuki cs50 wont run

Discussion in 'Scooter Guides' started by scottradford, Jun 26, 2014.

1. scottradford

scottradford New Member

hi all, i recently bought a project Suzuki cs 50 roadie, it wont run unless i hold my hand over the air intake, i have cleaned the carb lots of times, its obviously the carb but what ? i have removed the choke mechanism so it would have constant choke but still no go ,help:)

2. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    You need to check the plug colour, as it might be running lean. Does it idle or rev at all, as it might tell us if it's the idle mixture or something else at fault. We need more information.

3. scottradford

scottradford New Member

it will start only if i hold my hand over the air intake on the carb,then i release it and then its cuts out its definitely fuel shortage,the plugs new,has never run

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

If it will run with your hand over the air intake then it means it either needs less air going in or more fuel to compensate for the excessive air flow. Sounds like a re-jet to me. Do you have the standard airbox at all?

5. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    How old is the fuel? I would drain the fuel tank and see if the filter is blocked. Then work downwards from there, making sure that the float bowl of the carb fills properly. If that lot checks out, then look for air leaks between the carb and the inlet manifold that might be leaning out the fuel mixture, such that you need to compensate by partially blocking the carb throat.

It could just be a knackered carb, but let's work by elimination of other faults first.