Steering head bearing

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by Purplepill, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Purplepill

Purplepill Member

Ok after my service yesterday i was told my steering head bearing is on its way out, and im just wondering what affect this has on leaning/turning the bike as itl take at least a week for the part to come in and be fitted.

TBH i hadnt even noticed, and didnt notice any bad effects from it, soimjust wondering how essential it is? cheers anyone.

2. tweak

tweak Member

You may get away with just tightening it up a little, however if they've had a proper feel of it (ie where the front wheel has been off the floor and then moved the bars side to side then there's no arguing).

The best bet is to get a set of headrace bearings which use taper rollers instead of your norm ball bearings in cups. they last longer and have less ressistance due to taper rollers. Handling wise, you begin to feel a slight knocking when breaking and changing direction. It won't do much until it really starts to wear flat spots on the bearings (they could already be taper rollers already but just worn) then you'll feel a clicking and crunching when turning, not good for the smooth ride and you could end up in worst case scenario your bars not wanting to turn.... :msn1:

safest thing to do is get a new set ordered and fittted asap, afterall it is an MOT failure aspect

3. Purplepill

Purplepill Member

cheers tweek ;)