Starting help needed

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by Gary D, May 4, 2020.

1. Gary D

Gary D New Member

Hi guys , I bought a zip 50 2t which started perfect but the lights were very dim so i

decided to clean the pick up on the outside of the flywheel as it was rusty . I tried to remove the flywheel to clean up the stator inside but i couldnt as the nut was on so tight so I left it . I did however spray everything with electrical contact cleaner inside and out and left it to dry .I should also mention I did turn the flywheel backward and forwards a couple of times whilst trying to secure it . I put everything back together it ran for about a minute then died and cant get it to start . Battery is good , I plugged everything in . I checked the plug it's very wet and black . I took tbe plug out and turned it over and couldnt find a spark. Have I shorted something out like the cdi or is it possible I knocked the timing out or flooded the engine up with hand turning it back and forth , I'm stuck any help guys please , thanks

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

3. Gary D

Gary D New Member

Hi thanks for replying , I've had a look at that thread at it seems exactly like my issue . Think il try the stator . Thanks again

4. Gary D

Gary D New Member

So just to update , I had the stator changed , changed the cdi over new plug and still not starting so I had a lad do a compression check for me he done two tests the first at 80 and the second at 65 . Could this possibly be the reason it's not firing up . He said it needs a rebuild kit doing . But how can this happen when it was running perfectly just a couple of hours before with no smoke or anything, any ideas please?

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Strange.
    Low comp won't make it stop sparking either....

Gary D likes this.
  6. Gary D

Gary D New Member

He put the replacement cdi unit on and said it was sparking strong but he said it still wouldn't fire up and he put it down to the low compression test , I just find it strange as it was running great before then

7. Damjan

Damjan Active Member

Rides:
    Baotian Falcon 50R
    On the piaggio engines the ignition coil dies pretty often.

Gary D likes this.
  8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

It does happen....

Gary D likes this.