Start scooter wit no key

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Norman Vennard, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Norman Vennard

Norman Vennard New Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerex
    Folks I have acquired a Yamaha Aerox 50cc scooter ( year 2000 ) it was bought as a non runner and the previous owner has broken the ignition switch. Before I purchase a new ignition switch I want to see if i can get it to run. The ignition switch has 5 wires listed below also has a cable running to the back of the switch.

Red = Live
    Black = Earth
    Blcak and white = Kill switch
    Grey = ?
    Brown = ?

Is it possible to hot wire the connections above and start the engine have to emphasise just want to see if the engine is ok before I start spending money on the scooter.

Regards Norman

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Dont need to start it to check the engine.
    Do a compression test on the cylinder, with a tester not your finger, should be 100psi or above, use the kickstart or put a live from the battery to the terminal on the starter motor.
    It won't spark but should turn the motor over.
    If the compressionis fine, and the vacuum is good, the plug will get wet with fuel.
    All you're missing then is a spark.
    Remove the front panel to gain access to the rear of the ignition switch.
    There is a big black block on the back of it, retained by a spring clip.
    Pull the clip out and you can turn the inside of the block with a large bladed screwdriver.

3. Norman Vennard

Norman Vennard New Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerex
    Thanks for your reply will try the compression test, I have drilled the ignition switch out to release the steering lock and unfortunately have broken the black block in the process. On the look now for a used ignition switch.
    Thanks Norman

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

They're cheap enough, buy new