STAGE6 variator slow

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by Motobiker-bonds, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Motobiker-bonds

Motobiker-bonds New Member

Hi I bought a STAGE6 variator kit thinking it would improve my top speed and acceleration but when I got it all on and went on my first ride on it and it was going at 40mph and it was revving quite highly a lot higher than before at that speed with the stock variator on it, could someone explain why this is???

BTW I have a CPI Oliver city with an upgraded carb with a 65 main jet, carbon fibre reeds and a 70cc big bore kit.

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    maybe to low on the roller weights ( depending what you have put in) , or could be your hitting the max on the gearing ratio ( normally you would add a secondary gear up kit in the rear drive to get more legs and higher top speed with a 70 kit )

Motobiker-bonds likes this.
  3. Motobiker-bonds

I have 5g rollers and I already have a gear up kit for it. Do you think I should get a power pipe ??

4. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    If you still have the stock pipe ,its going to be holding you back some what . stock pipes are low down rpm , sport pipes are more mid range /high range rpm, they tend to produce the power at around 7-9000rpm.

5. Motobiker-bonds

Ahhh ok any idea of a power pipe ? And Jw what bike do u have ??

6. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    i own a Sym jet frankenstien , its a eurox with a lot of sym jet basix parts fitted.
    has stock clutch and variator, uprated cdi ( unlimited rpm) , naraku 6g and 8g rollers fitted, naraku belt, and a leo vince TT sports exhaust. its just a derestricted scooter but pushes well once the pipes power area comes in, on the sym clock 50mph but reality its about 45-47mph.

leo vince ( ZX -TT ) has not been to bad, but i have heard that the technigas are rubbish, theres also Hebo exhausts , gianelli and if you able to afford them Yasuni ( they rated very good so i have heard but are expensive )

7. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    up the roller weight if it revs and does nothing..

8. Motobiker-bonds

Any specific roller weight

9. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    try a gram heavier, it will drop the revs off for sure, might be enough, might be too much, might not be enough. roller packs are pretty cheap, theres usually 5 sets of really cheap different weight in diff colours you ccan use for setup then replace with what you settle on. theres a general guide on transmission/rollers in the guides section, have a read, get a few sets and get playing. basic tool set, a variator locking tool, jets, rollers..essentials if you own a scooter and want to play with the engine

10. Motobiker-bonds

Thanks will do