SR50R 70cc airsal & Yasuni Z jetting?

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by Bigjimknickers, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Bigjimknickers

Bigjimknickers Member

Hi I’ve read up on the jetting & I was told to start at an 80 for my SR50R piaggio engined scooter, It’s spec is:

Airsal 70cc sport
    Yasuni Z
    Malossi stock type filter.

So my main question is I read it’s 8-12% for a kit & 5-8% for an exhaust, so as I have both do I start at a 17% (10+7, in the middle) increase over a 10%?
    Because I have both pipe & 70cc kit?
    Thanks!

2. Bigjimknickers

Bigjimknickers Member

3. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Sounds right to me! :cool:

Bigjimknickers likes this.
  4. Bigjimknickers

Bigjimknickers Member

Odd, I ordered all the parts from pedparts & he told me to start at an 80? Sounds low to me.

5. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Might be best to stick to 80 then because pedparts are sound, unless another member knows differently?

6. Bigjimknickers

Bigjimknickers Member

no- only me finding that guide above really, I'm going to modern scooters tomorrow morning to buy the jets so im sure they will advise me too.

7. Bigjimknickers

Bigjimknickers Member

Well I ordered the wrong size jets, so I went to a local shop to buy some just to get started, I bought 80-90, 90 was WAY too big, 80 was also too big, I tried my stock 53 just to test it & it was obviously too lean, I just wanted to know it’d run & Rev, so, 68-78 jets ordered & hopefully will be here tomorrow.

milo2025 likes this.
  8. Bigjimknickers

Bigjimknickers Member

Now I’ve tried 78 & 76 jets, I’m really not sure if my plug is telling the truth, I know it’s only reliable to do a plug chop at full revs on a new plug so I’ll try that tomorrow I’m pretty sure it’s still bogging on the 76.

9. Lukash

Lukash Member

Rides:
    SR125
    If you have the standard airbox on then 76 is on the high side - i'd guess more around 65-68.

That guide that said 88 was talking about a setup with a sports filter which needs a way richer mixture than airbox.

10. Bigjimknickers

Bigjimknickers Member

Ahh i see, so is one way of testing it’s too rich could be to run it tomorrow with the 76 jet & no air box?
    Then that’ll tell me it’s still too rich if it takes off & revs cleanly at WOT?

11. Bigjimknickers

Bigjimknickers Member

Then I’ll work my way down to the 68 in 2’s

12. Lukash

Lukash Member

Rides:
    SR125
    Yeah sounds like a good plan to me

13. Bigjimknickers

Bigjimknickers Member

Well I’m getting a little lost here, I got a new plug, held it pinned up the road- cut the throttle & it was as white as white could be, clearly too lean with a 72 jet, tried again with a 74 same, now I’m back up to a 78 & thinking of trying an 80 once again!! Wft

14. Lukash

Lukash Member

Rides:
    SR125
    Thats surprising, I just noticed you have Malossi sponge in there too - I think that lets more air through than standard sponge so will be slightly higher than I'm used to. Every setup is different though, even things like altitude make a difference to jetting.

If it likes 80 i'd stick around there, better to be a bit rich than too lean - especially while running in a new kit.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  15. Bigjimknickers

Bigjimknickers Member

I’ve just tried again & put some sealant round the reed block & the part between the carb, I think I had an air leak that’s why I was struggling to get a decent reading on the plugs, so I now have two clean plugs, one I use to warm up the engine, then when it’s nice & warm I chop the plug for the other one & pin it for 30 seconds cut the engine & check, so far I’m back to a 76!

Lukash likes this.