Squish techniques ?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Sam phantom, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

I’m currently rebuilding a 1999 70cc race spec engine for a gilera everything is Stage6

I’m thinking of useing the blue tac and digital vernier gauge method for the squish. I did think of using the solider way but it’s a bit hit and miss if you are able to hit the cylinder wall or not! so not sure

If Any one has any tips on how they do it,I’d like to pick your Brains

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

3. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I always use solder at the sides of the piston in line with gudgen pin, 0.8-1.0mm ish?

4. Sam phantom

5. Sam phantom

Yes there abouts 0.6-0.8 I think it was I’ll have to check, it came with 6 base gaskets to adjust the squish I’m not going to be too anal with it but wouldn’t mind getting it in the ball park.

6. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    If it's water cooled then you could go on the smaller squish due to the good thermal stability, air cooled need's to be bigger !

7. Sam phantom

Yeah it’s l/c, ok thanks that’s good advice...and good to know if i ever need to rebuild the phantom. there’s something else that I’m not sure about ! So in the kit there’s the 6 metal base gaskets that go between the engine case and the cylinder but there’s also a paper gasket, the Manuel says the paper gasket must go on the engine side... that’s a bit confusing! Is the the engine side the cylinder or the case side ?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  8. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I'd say crank case side !

9. Sam phantom

That was my first thought too..

Thank you