Sppedfight kickstart jammed

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by Lellylel, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Lellylel

Lellylel New Member

I have an issue with the kickstart and power button to start my moped

The kick start gets jammed and will not turn over the engine, also when pressing the autostart it just spins.

I have pics if anyone can suggest what could be wrong.

Thank you

2. Dandruff37

Dandruff37 Active Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR50 R
    Either you've got that much shit in your casing that the kickstart just wont move so could be a simple case of cleaning that out, but if its not turning the engine over sounds like pistons to me. and as for the electric they're just crap on speedfights

3. Lellylel

Lellylel New Member

So after cleaning the casing, and still an issue, what do i need to do with the pistons?

4. Lellylel

Lellylel New Member

Thank you btw for the quick response :)

5. Lellylel

Lellylel New Member

Attached Files:

6. steveaerox50

steveaerox50 aprilia owner

Rides:
    1999 aprilia rs125
    that kick start pinion is worn change that , and if still no joy compression test the engine , or pull the top end off and check the piston and cylinder for bad wear and score marks if there is its time for a fresh top end and gaskets hope this helps :)

7. Lellylel

Lellylel New Member

Thanks

8. Dandruff37

Dandruff37 Active Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR50 R
    If im being honest it sounds to me like it could do with a top end rebuild. and if it does then its a Peugeot engine so I dont mean it in a bad way but i'd probably get rid. all a peugeot moped will do is continue throwing problems with you and continue spending your money. Trust me I went through the same with a speedfight 3. but about £1500 into it and got £600 back. they do not hold they're value well

9. Lellylel

Lellylel New Member

hoping for a worn part first [​IMG]
    Something stopping the kick starter and electric start 'catching'

10. Dandruff37

Dandruff37 Active Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR50 R
    Well I hope it is for your bank balances sake. You on a speedy 1,2 or 3?

11. Lellylel

Lellylel New Member

It is a 2, and really not had any issues until now.
    :(

12. Dandruff37

Dandruff37 Active Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR50 R
    Speedfight ones are good because they are actually made by the Peugeot car company. Whereas 2 & 3 are made in china and are essentially chinese imports which are just badged 'Peugeot'. so the build quality of 2 & 3's is crap

steveaerox50 likes this.
  13. Lellylel

Lellylel New Member

that's too late for me now

hahaha
    but thanks for all of your advise, i never realised forums were this good
    as you can tell i don't do this often

Very helpful indeed

:)

Boxer_Dog_2002 likes this.
  14. Rebel without a clue

Rebel without a clue Active Member

Rides:
    2000 Speedfight 50
    If the starter motor is spinning firstly check that it's bolted on properly. If it's not on properly it won't engage the Bendix (the bit that flies out to engage with the big gear thing). If that's ok, it might be worth checking the Bendix (check it hasn't seized up). A new one costs about 20 quid. Also, make sure the battery is fully charged. If it's a bit low it won't turn the starter quick enough.
    As for the kick start, they wear out easily and are also relatively cheap to replace.
    Pedparts are pretty good for spares.

15. Rebel without a clue

Rebel without a clue Active Member

Rides:
    2000 Speedfight 50
    You could try removing the spark plug and turning the engine gently by hand to see if it moves freely?
    If not then it costs a bit more (60 quid ish) for a new top end.

16. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    If the starter won't engage, the bendix is stuck. Try moving the drive cog on the starter motor in and out by hand, it should move freely on the bendix. If it doesn't, it's probably choked with crap/rust and you need to remove it, clean it and lubricate the bendix again.

A Jammed kickstart can be down to the kickstart spindle bush being dry. You should be able to move the quadrant freely by hand and check that the shim and washer are both present on the outside. If the circlip pops off the quadrant can move in and jam against the variator, although there's no damage to the variator vanes to support that idea.