Speedfight real wheel seized up

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by milo2025, Mar 23, 2019.

1. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

I was riding along quite happily on my speedfight 100 earlier and all of a sudden the rear wheel seized. The engine still works fine but didn't have the power to turn the real wheel although I can just about turn it myself. I checked the rear break but that's not the problem. I couldn't push it home so I rang the breakdown service who picked it up after over 2 hours wait and dropped it back at mine but he didn't have a clue - was more concerned about getting home for his tea. Any ideas gratefully received. Hope it's not going to be a major expense to fix.

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Belt.
    I'm 90% sure. Ish...

3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Or bearing/reduction gearbox failure. Or clutch failure... But probably the belt

4. milo2025

The belt is exactly what I thought but some people were telling me the wheel would still turn round quite freely if pushed. Are they wrong?

5. milo2025

(Not telling me that on this forum I hasten to add!) The bike is now sitting at a (closed) motorbike garage in Cambridge so I can't check the belt myself and even if the bike was at home, and I know this sounds ignorant, I wouldn't know how to.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

It gets tangled in the clutch and jams everything up.
    My vx belt blew at 80mph on a slip road...
    It's just to take off the cover bolts and look. If there is a load of smushed burnt rubber it's fucked

7. milo2025

Damn! Sounds like this could be expensive and the bikes only covered just over 4k miles because the previous owner only used it once in a blue moon..cheers anyway, that's helpful to know.

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

It's probably just the belt, shouldn't cost more than about 70 pound including labour.

9. milo2025

Yes, labour around 50 ph plus belt so that's ok. The idiot rescue guy was revving the engine hard to try and get the real wheel to spin - I hope he didn't inflict further damage or I will sue his arse.

10. milo2025

Belt replaced but needs new variator back plate too which is on order. Wish I'd kept my Honda sfx as a spare now, that was a cracking little scoot grrr!

11. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Oh did it take out the vario too?
    That's rotten luck.

12. milo2025

Yep but won't cost much more, just a pain waiting till the part arrives. Could have worse I guess. I wouldn't recommend SOS motorcycle recovery. After waiting for over 3 hours by the roadside he kept insisting the rear brake was the problem without even checking. He kept revving the engine thinking it would unseize the caliper when it was completely fine!

13. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah most of those recovery firms are hopeless.

A lot of people preach to "know bikes" but have purely Google knowledge and zero real life knowledge.

milo2025 likes this.
  14. milo2025

Bike ready but wallet lighter to the tune of 100 quid. Can't grumble at that really. Off to collect it now hoorah :)

15. milo2025

16. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

They are still cheap.
    I used to live in Cambridgeshire. Before I moved to Norway that is.
    I once got off with speeding at like 80mph in a 30 zone in Cambridge, you know where there are some fields and a river right in the centre and a long straight bit.
    It was 4am on a Sunday.

17. milo2025

Hahaha that's cool and yeah I know where you mean. You can get away with a lot in Cambridge I don't know why, think it's because it's pretty liberal here. Anyway I got to the garage and they forgot to fit the new vario so not having much luck really! They lent me a Peugeot kisbee in the meantime, it's so light I was throwing it round the corners it was a hoot. Reminded me of the old school days. My girlfriend comes from Oslo but I've never been. Hope to one of the days though. She's wants to take me to Bergin I think it's called as her folks have a holiday home there.

scubabiker likes this.
  18. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I live right near bergen, a place called Stord.
    It's beautiful here. Oslo is quite nice, but this side of the country is better.
    Did you find the kisbee a but sluggish?

19. milo2025

Sounds lovely but I have to save up first, I hear Norway is very expensive? Compared to my speedfight I was expecting to find it very sluggish but actually I was pleasantly surprised by how nippy it was for a 50 cc 4t, and agile too. Aircooled also which I unusual. I wouldn't buy one though.

20. milo2025

Just been out on the kisbee again to run some errands for the other half. As soon as you hit a hill, even a moderate one (thankfully they are few and far between around here) it slows down alarmingly.

scubabiker likes this.