Speedfight 4 Basic Tuning

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by Mark211, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Mark211

Mark211 New Member

Hi Scooter Shack my name is Mark and I have just purchased a new Peugeot Speedfight 4 50 2T LC. I Would like to take it from standard spec to a state of tune that is reliable and efficient as it will be used to commute on a 14 mile round trip daily. I've already had it derestricted at the dealers by having the variator washer removed and is comfortably doing 43 mph. I have no plans to change the exhaust at the moment so was looking to take any restrictions off the exhaust if there is any and put a better air filter on the bike. There seems to be a pipe coming off the exhaust going into a plastic box and then to a small air filter. Will removing this make any improvements and how would I do it. Basically I would like to do as much as I can without having to mess about rejetting the carb at the moment as its not even finished its running in period yet. Does the Speedfight 4 have a CDi and will I have to change this. Thanks in advance for your help and information

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

That pipe is part of the emissions stuff, cuttung it off and welding a plate over will probably gain about half a hp or so...
    I suspect there is some sort of restrictor In the pipe, how easy it is to remove I cant say, plus that would mean upjetting.
    The cdi will have a limiter, but I would leave it be for now

3. 1nsane

1nsane New Member

On older models, the sidepipe on the exhaust was sort of a restriction that would kill of some of the exhaust kickback which caused a decrease in power, sawing it off and closing it would give it some more uhmpf

4. AVF

AVF New Member

The dealer I bought mine from removed this pipe and welded the hole up. My speedfight 4 lc 50cc will do 45mph (eventually, on a nice long flat road). It also has the restrictor plate stuff removed as well (I whipped the transmission cover off and had a look behind the variator with an inspection mirror just to make sure).

5. Dani Kalman

Dani Kalman New Member

Hi if I was to fit a technigas Next R exhaust on my speedfight 4...what sort of upjett am I looking at? Someone said 5-8% so an 84 or 86 instead of an 80 but he also said that some have needed 15% so I don’t wanna ruin my bike since it’s 4 months old...also does a racing variator actually improve acceleration and top speed without the help of other components? Thanks

6. James M

James M New Member

Hi I’ve seen lots of videos on cutting or disconnecting the wire to the cdi that restricts the bike can any one tell me where on a speedfight 4 this is I don’t want to buy a new cdi and have been told this would work

7. AVF

AVF New Member

Just out of interest, what makes you think the cdi is restricted on a speedfight 4 50cc?

8. Mark211

Mark211 New Member

I dont think the cdi restricts the scooter. My wife's Speedfight 4 was purchased brand new from the dealer. All they done was remove the variator washer, they didn't touch the cdi and my wife said it will easily do over 40 mph. She said it has done 45mph but it felt unstable at that speed. The dealer was supposed to cut the restriction pipe of the exhaust as well but didn't so I shall be doing that this summer.

9. Mark211

Mark211 New Member

10. Mark211

Mark211 New Member

If you want to maintain some reliability I would keep the tuning to a minimum. It is only 50cc and as with any 2 stroke what you change in one area affects the others. Take the factory restrictions of to start with. After market exhaust is a must, up jet in size by 2 or 4 max, fit a quality air filter but keep the standard airbox. Stay away from the cone filters, they might look cool and perform well in the dry but once it rains and they start sucking in moisture it will run like a bag of shite. If you want more acceleration change to a lighter roller weight in the variator, but your top speed will be affected. If you can get these four main elements all dialled in to each other you can can have a well performing scooter with good reliability as a day to day commuter. Of course dont forget to use a quality 2 stroke oil.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  11. Joeb623

Joeb623 New Member

Rides:
    Peugeot speedfight 4
    Do you know what restrictors are actually in the bike and how to remove them
    (Video links preferably)

12. Ales

Ales New Member

Did anyone tried to put on a scooter rev limiter for police? I am trying to find some reliable limiter but cant find it.

Actually i also removed variator washer and cut blank pipe from exhaust and my speedfight 4 can do 50mph with ease.

I already tried with 2 universal rev limiter but it does not work well on the speedfight. Both had some adjustment nobs but non of them worked well. It was completely open or restricted too much.

Here is a link to one example witch does not work well on speedfight 4 scooter:
    http://www.scooty.eu/blackbox-varvtalsbegr-nsare-universal.html

13. Toby Pettit

Toby Pettit New Member

I have a Speedfight 4 2018 and want to upjet it. I’ve researched the jet sizes on ped parts and not sure what size to get? Help would be appreciated. Thanks

14. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    What speed are you expecting from a 50cc ? my 125 2t typhoon is booked at 62 mph ! Most modern 125's are only good for 55 -60 on a good day. If you need faster then buy bigger.