Speedfight 3 - Pop hiss and bogging down

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Tilford, May 24, 2019.

1. Tilford

Tilford New Member

Hi all,

I’m at a loss here. My lad has a speedfight 3 50cc A/C model which was running fine.

Recently when riding it after only a mile or so or when warm it seems to bog down then make a pop from the exhaust almost combined with a hiss. If you back off the throttle quickly and then slowly roll it on it takes off again slowly but seems to be more boggy once the throttle is turned more towards full. Sadly being 16 he only uses the throttle fully open no doubt!!!!

As I was a little sceptical about it I went out and experienced it for myself so I know it’s a “real problem”

Any ideas where to start please?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Hello Dave, speedfight 3 is that 2 stroke or 4 stroke? I can never recall without a reminder....Air cooled so I'm guessing it's a stroker? (2t)

3. Tilford

Tilford New Member

Hi, sorry thought I’d miss some vital info. It’s a 2 stroke. Thanks

4. milo2025

No worries, first things I would do are give the carb and filter a good clean, and check the sparkplug, or have you already done so? My pipe pops terribly but only in the rain strangely enough, which makes me think water was leaking into the fuel tank, and the same thing would happen with the engine as yours....

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  5. Tilford

Tilford New Member

Hello, just ripping carb off now. Filter looks ok and spark plug is relatively new but I can replace them for pennies so its worth doing. I’ll nip to get replacements and post with an update

6. milo2025

Nice one. Mine was worse, it would bog down and pop and misfire, and the engine would stop. It would always start again though, so I would be limping home in the rain. Problem fixed by making the bike completely watertight. In the dry it's fine.

7. Tilford

Tilford New Member

That’s interesting. We’ve had a few lovely days here so might get him to try it again now. Out of interest what did you need to do do make it all watertight?

8. milo2025

I used this weird sealant spray stuff. Can't remember what it's called as my mrs brought it for me for my birthday. I will find out though cause it works a treat. (Don't use it without a facemask though because it makes you high as a kite)

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  9. Tilford

Tilford New Member

Just a quick reply. Still does exactly the same after full carb clean. New air filter, spark plug, intake, Reed valves and still makes a hiss and a backfire type pop after about 2 mins of riding.

10. milo2025

Honestly it's the rain. Mine was exactly the same when wet. You need to stop water ingress somehow.

11. Tilford

Tilford New Member

It’s been dry garaged for over a week and then rode in the dry though?

12. milo2025

Ah, sorry I should have asked. That's really strange. I honestly don't know then. Hopefully someone will....

13. milo2025

The popping is unburnt fuel burning in the pipe, hence the backfiring. Makes me wonder if it's running too rich...

14. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

It's the mixture. Could be too lean or too rich.
    No way to know without riding it

15. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Ha ha ha ha ja.

16. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    How would you feel if you were going through a downpour shaped the way you are;.