Speedfight 2 project- MHR, Nardo - *new custom front end*

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by lukeyboixrace, Mar 2, 2008.

1. lukeyboixrace

lukeyboixrace Member

got an update!

if anyone was curious as to how i'm making my rear mudguard i'll give you a little insight.

i start off with modelling board and i cut it into squares and place them where i need any extra material like so:
    [​IMG]

i then cut out the middle section so i can detail it and shape it without any obstruction:

[​IMG]

i then begin to shape the centre piece, if you notice there is a line on the other half...that's because the nearside has been tapered to allow easy removal of the fibreglass, the other side has also been done now:

[​IMG]

centre piece is then placed back inside mould:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i then began to detail it, i.e smooth corners, flow the front of the mudguard in etc:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

believe it or not, that there in the last picture is nearly the finished moulding!

i've managed to become friends with the manager at a fibreglass and carbon fibre racing seats manufacturer local to me, he is very enthusiastic about my project and wants me to come down and use their tools and supplies to create the final product....which is amazing really.

i've had a few chats with him about the moulding, and we have come up with a way which allows there to be NO seams or joins in the guard so it will flow absolutely smoothly....

also...the casting i'm making soon out of fibreglass, which i'm using to mould my final product inside will be reusable, so my mudguard can be batch produced, they can be assured of absolute quality finish with perfect results every time. It will not need fillering to smooth the surface as i'm creating a reverse mould therefore the smooth side of the fibreglass will be on the surface, allowing for a quick rough and then spraypaint.

sorry about the essay...thought you might be interested :lol:

also, recieved my scooter-attack order today, still waiting on scooter-centre for the speedo, bars and undertray though.

but i recieved the stage 6 handlebar adaptor, and i am quite simply amazed at the quality of the product, it's absolutely flawless...but i suppose i should expect it to be i did pay £70 inc P&P

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hope you like!

2. GRIMEZ

GRIMEZ New Member

ooooo i've got one of them coming my way!

3. Jefr0-180

Jefr0-180 Active Member

Getting technical nowwwwwwww, looking good mate, can't wait to start fibreglassing again.

Stem looks good :cool:

4. lukeyboixrace

lukeyboixrace Member

cheers mate :cool:

and its nice init

5. lukeyboixrace

lukeyboixrace Member

I've got a wicked updated for you fine people today

check out the size of the parcel from scooter-centre :rofl:

[​IMG]

and inside are:

downhill bars:
    [​IMG]

undertray:
    [​IMG]

digi speedo:
    [​IMG]

now is this not just the sexiest damn combination for downhill bars ever? :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

undertray mock up:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I AM SO UNIMPRESSED WITH THE QUALITY OF THE UNDERTRAY, IT ABSOLUTELY SICKENS ME TO THINK THEY CAN MAKE IT AND SELL IT FOR SUCH A HIGH PRICE!, THE PLASTIC IS FLIMSY, IT DOESNT FIT RIGHT...AND ITS BEEN TRIMMED SO BADLY.

I personally think I could create a much improved fibreglass copy of it, how could they design it so bad?...would take me a few days to make the mould.....why have they not got it right? :rtfm:

6. GRIMEZ

GRIMEZ New Member

VA VA VOOM!

7. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

That's just the story of aftermarket parts right there. It's a damn shame.

8. billy #86

billy #86 New Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    absolutely spot on there, ive had 2 differant models of mtkt undertrays and none of them have been anywhere near fitting properly

9. lukeyboixrace

lukeyboixrace Member

yea....i spent 70 on that stage 6 adaptor, and expected spot on quality for that mony, and i recieved better quality than i expected...very impressed.

then i spend 70 on a plastic undertray....and recieve an item i couldv'e made better at 6th form....do they have no quality assurance on their products? it's ridiculous.....although it's not soo bad as i plan to fibreglass it into the rear panel anyway

10. Jefr0-180

Jefr0-180 Active Member

That undertray is dam sexy, I've had it favourited for ages in hope of putting it on a runner, now there is gonna be some problems :rofl:

I like it because of the LED rear lights, £70 though :msn1:

11. lukeyboixrace

lukeyboixrace Member

say's 72 euros on my reciept....and with the current exchange rate it's pretty much the same.

i thought exactly the same 70 quid fook that!
    but...i opted for the cheapest version....the one with a different design on on it is 90 quid :wtf:

so obviously i went for the cheaper 1 as theres no way im spending 20 quid extra for them to use a slightly different mould :msn1:

12. GRIMEZ

GRIMEZ New Member

yeah i've been raped badly by scooter attack just made an order which would have come to about £125 it cost me £155ish without posting takes the piss really but no where else to get the parts

13. Dec

Dec Active Member

Rides:
    nothing ugm
    yea i had the mtkt undertray '(sold to billy) was shit basically, was uneven and needed holes drilling, and generally shit plastic and quality. but yea bars looking SICK :punk:

14. lukeyboixrace

lukeyboixrace Member

cheers :cool:

ahh it's ok...i'm planning on making my own undertray at some point :rofl: will be wayy better quality than this one...even the lights don't line up what a bunch of cocks.

anyway...bars are on...took ages, original holes dnt line up properly...so had to file them down...stage 6 adaptor is made a bit too well...fit's too tight :rofl: there is no way in hell i'm getting that off now!

front end being fibreglassed more tomorrow, when i mocked it up outside it looked absolutely quality from the front...like no other i've seen before.

stay tuned ;)

15. lukeyboixrace

lukeyboixrace Member

alright people

tonight done a bit of work on my mudguard

had it filler sprayed, and spent a good hour and a half sanding and smoothing it right down so now it is perfect bar a few small dings which need to be filled in....tomorrow...i'm heading back down tillet racing and the fibreglassing process begins 8)

wish me luck

[​IMG]

16. Vesta

Vesta New Member

goood luck

ur cardigan is so cool

17. chadz

chadz Member

looks bloody intresting for sure fella

18. lukeyboixrace

lukeyboixrace Member

been down tillet today

waxed the edges after putting a release agent on it, filled all the dimples with wax:
    [​IMG]

then gel coated it:
    [​IMG]

then fibreglassed it, firstly with fine sheeting to get the shape, then a layer of thicker sheet to strengthen the mould:
    [​IMG]

bearing in mind this is only the mould.....this will be lifted from the base....and then imperfections sanded from the inside, and then highly polished which will be done by me tomorrow.....i will then put a gel coat on the inside in metallic silver colour, and will fibreglass the inside piece...once it has cured i can seperate it from the mould and it will be the final product once trimmed.

what you think?

19. nibbles

nibbles Active Member

its far better than original design .TBH its not to my taste but as before stated about another bike its people like you doing things like this that pushes the scootering scene on .fukin good work there mate i mite have to have a go at something like this myself

good look to ya m8 hope it turns out exactly as u want it

20. seanwhite06

seanwhite06 New Member

Rides:
    runner 172, zx6r
    im soooooo fucking confused as to how thats a mudguard/hugger/number plate tingy!! :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: lol

just let us know when its done , sure it will all look great on the bike!!! :D