Speedfight 2: Not Running Right With New Parts??

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Inked, May 21, 2014.

1. Inked

Inked Member

Just thinking....

The clutch has yellow springs fitted but could the high revs be the clutch slipping?

2. bogey

bogey Active Member

Have you run it stationary on the stand with the side casing off to see if the belt is running up and down the pulleys as it should be ?

3. Inked

Inked Member

Not yet, will the engine start ok with the casing off.

So you don't think it could be the clutch slipping that's making the engine seem like its running too fast?

4. bogey

bogey Active Member

I starterd mine with electric start. I don't see why you couldn't take it's off whilst it's running thought if you only have kick start.

5. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    I doubt very much whether the clutch is the problem. What I don't understand is the fact that with a wider belt, you should experience the opposite - ie the thing will tend to grip more rather than less and the revs would go down - at least at the start.
    I'm thinking - either your pulley is slipping on the crankshaft for some reason (forgotten the star that fits with the splines on the crank?) or you've broken the pins in the rear corrector and it's spinning on itself.

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

maybe its the rear gearbox thats fucked? tru spinning the back wheel and check that the clutch goes round

7. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Or maybe the rollers are jammed somehow........

8. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Or maybe the variator's jammed somehow and it's stuck in low ratio, so it can't spin the clutch up fast enough to engage the drive properly?

9. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I would be inclined to run that with the casing off and have a look at what the variator is doing with each belt fitted, as suggested earlier. You will need to support the starter bendix with an 8mm socket and extension if you start it without the case on, bit tricky but can be done.

10. Inked

Inked Member

Wow thanks for all the replies guys (keep them coming) ;)

I haven't had a chance to try anything else because of the bad weather and so I've been driving instead of riding...lol

When you say the pully could be slipping on the crankshaft do you mean the variator?

As I thought the pully ( the silver tube that the belt sits on) was meant to be able to move.

If I spin the back wheel then the clutch goes around so I suppose that's a good thing.

I've checked the rollers and they are all seated correctly and I've also tested the movement of the variator with the belt off to see if it got stuck and all seemed ok.

Let's not forget guys that with the old belt and rollers fitted the scooter runs almost perfect apart from the engine running a bit fast compared the the power its delivering.

And before I started servicing the parts it didn't have any problems (maybe pulling away was a bit on the slow side).

We could argue that if it wasn't broke then I shouldn't have messed with it but the parts would have needed servicing sooner or later and then I would be where I am now.

11. Inked

Inked Member

A bit off topic but......

When mixing rollers is it best to keep the weights close, for example 6g and 7g or 8g and 9g, or is it ok to make big jumps like 4g and 9g or 3g and 10g?

12. Inked

Inked Member

13. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
  14. Inked

Inked Member

Thanks for the reply ;)

So do you think it could just need a shim?

I took the cover off yesterday to try and make a video of what's going on but while I had the variator off to put the new belt back on, I noticed that the 8.5 g rollers were still in there, so I put In some new 9g rollers and took it out for a test drive and it pulled a lot better and the high revs have stopped.

The only problems now are:

1. its still just about making 40mph (it made a bit more before).

2. I still can't fit the new wider belt so even I I was to just leave the old one in there, I'll still have this problem when it does need changing.

15. Inked

Inked Member

16. Inked

Inked Member

17. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for the 4 question marks:rolleyes:

18. NayMau5

NayMau5 Member

Rides:
    Peugeot Speedfight2
    I have recently bought a stage 6 pro replica exhaust and it was running slower than my leo vince TT pipe so emailed ped parts to ask what to do? they said change the rollers and clutch springs so I put 6g (the weight they recommended) and hard clutch springs in (they recommended medium) but I thought acceleration would be better with hard so I put them in! I went on a test drive and it struggled to do 20mph.

so today I changed the clutch springs to the soft ones to see if that made a difference and bike sounded like bike was running nice but yet again it struggled to do 20mph?

Do you think the rollers could be too light?

I have Stage 6 rollers (the ones you have to put in the shell)

Any advice?

Nathan keen

19. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Go back to the standard rollers and try it again. What you have happening is that the light rollers can't force the variator pulley out enough to make the belt ride high on the pulley, so you are stuck in 'low gear' with the engine revving it's nads off. The heavier clutch springs also make the bike's final drive engage later, so I am surprised that you are moving at all.

Try the heavier rollers first to see if that helps before you lighten the clutch springs. The Speedy 2 should have 8 gram rollers as standard and I would have only dropped to 7.5 or 7 grams, certainly not 6 grams unless you want a real screamer of a bike.

Did you re-jet for the Stage 6 pipe, as the jetting requirements may be different to the Leo Vince pipe?

20. NayMau5

NayMau5 Member

Rides:
    Peugeot Speedfight2

So if I keep the soft clutch springs in but change my rollers too 7g as there the highest I have currently as the stock ones are nakered I should see a difference and yes pipe should be jetted right I'll take a look tomorrow just to double check!