Speedfight 2 100 stator

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Ethan Thompson, May 31, 2020.

1. Ethan Thompson

Ethan Thompson FoxyT

Rides:
    Speedfight 2 100cc
    Long story short some nob pulled out on me on my speedfight 2 100cc I had 2 bounce the kerb to avoid the colission on doing so ive twisted my front end and snapped my exhaust lugs off. I have a speedy 2 lc 50 and am woundering can the parts be swapped straight over. Im pretty sure i can with the fork but not sure about the crank cases. I doubted I could so bought a used pair of cases for £15 but the case around the stator has been chipped away im woundering if this will cause any problems? My intention while im stripping it down anyway is to put a new crank new bearings and new seals in so I get maximum life out of the scooter as I use it for my little lockdown project and as a summer commuter to work as its so cheap to run as opposed to a car. Ive attatched pictures of the engine ive purchased so I can get some advice on weather it will work or not... or alternatively to get me by without having to do a full rebuild has anyone got any insight into fabricating new exhaust mounts Screenshot_20200530-180713.jpg Screenshot_20200530-180713.jpg Screenshot_20200530-180710.jpg Screenshot_20200530-180705.jpg 20200530_180822.jpg

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Very unlucky. There are always idiots out there who only notice cars and act like scoots and motorbikes (and push bikes for that matter) don't exist and are invisible. Have you looked on youtube? There are so many speedy vids it's worth checking out.

Ethan Thompson likes this.
  3. Ethan Thompson

Ethan Thompson FoxyT

Rides:
    Speedfight 2 100cc
    I’ve been looking on YouTube and watched a lot of Mark Savage videos, he seems to be the main guy when it comes to speed fights, he says it’s basically dead and the only fix is a full rebuild. At the same time he doesn’t do any bodge job fixes or get me by fixes it has to be proper and original with him, their surely must be a way to fabricate something on the engine to mount the exhaust to. I’ve searched through google images and found nothing and on the forum basically everything is engine swap, I believe with this scooter it’s just opening a can of worms splitting the engine taking everything out and putting it in a new set of cases which I’m not even sure will work due to the side of the stator housing condition. I’d love some suggestions if anyone has had a go at a fix for this problem, I’m surprised no ones made a fix for this as it seems a common problem. The reason I need it fixing is the exhaust now doesn’t have a hanger so is coming loose and don’t want it to snap my exhaust studs

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

That inner edge is just a kind of cover for the flywheel. I can more or less guarantee that someone has tried to remove the flywheel without using the proper extractor, instead using a set of pullers thereby snapping the edges off. As long as you use the plastic engine cover it should be fine over the summer, not sure about the winter though.
    Some aluminium sheet to re-form the shape might help, fixing would be interesting.......
    There is always another way to support the exhaust, just have to find it when it's in place.....get creative

Ethan Thompson likes this.
  5. Ethan Thompson

Ethan Thompson FoxyT

Rides:
    Speedfight 2 100cc
    Im going to see a welder on Sunday spoke to one of the lads in work and he's got got one in his shed with every peice of steel under the sun, for now ive attatched some steel bar with holes drilled in from the right foot peg accross to the exhaust and it seems to be working as a temp fix for now hopefully he'll be able to weld new mounts onto the engine as more of a permanent fix. Hes only charging me £30 mates rates so cant complain if it saves me a whole engine rebuild, and then over the winter I can do my rebuild when I wont be using the scooter.

6. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    You can't fix engine to footrest, it will brake off when suspension moves up/down ! These engines are renound for braking on the exhaust mount. If it is to be welded then engine needs to be stripped as heat will damage other areas.

7. Ethan Thompson

Ethan Thompson FoxyT

Rides:
    Speedfight 2 100cc
    Thanks for the reply I wish I had it a little earlier it felt as though it was working to get me by but noticed after a couple days it seemed to be getting louder and louder because the exhaust was held inplace by a bar on the foot rest it kept making my cylinder head exhaust bolts loose and is actually pulling them out... your reply has just saved me a few quid and a good couple of hours messing round for something thats not going to work... so for now she's decommissioned until I can rebuild her probs around 2 weeks time. I dont see the point in doing the rebuild without new bearings and seals so am going to have to pick them up when I get paid. Ive watched a few vids here and their and am pretty confident I would be able to do it, im going to buy a new crank aswell as theirs 14k on the clocks and am presuming everything is origional so for peace of mind ill replace it while the parts are still available. My question to you would be is their a certain way I have to set the timing as ive destroyed a 4 stroke a couple years back by setting the timing a tooth out. I know 2 strokes dont have the problem of cams and chains but the stator is the timing do I have to line it up with anything and have the piston tdc and then tighten everything up? Just dont want to blow aload of cash and hard work on the scooter to just destroy it.. it started as my little lockdown project but now I'm starting to get rather attatched to it.

8. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

It's a 2 stroke isn't it?
    No timing to deal with, all static.
    As long as the flywheel lines up on the crank keyway, all good to go.
    Should be able to pick up an engine half cheap enough.
    You'll need the full gasket set, crank bearings and seals. Get them from here:
    Showe-performance. Co. UK.
    Better to ring them, speak to Brett (owner), Andy or Kai, they all know what you need.
    Why not have the engine cases cleaned and painted while they're apart. .. .. ...

9. Ethan Thompson

Ethan Thompson FoxyT

Rides:
    Speedfight 2 100cc
    I've been thinking of painting the engine to tidy it up, i picked an engine half up with the exhaust bracket for £15 theyre getting to be a pain to come by unless your willing to spend 150-200 on a full engine, its the one pictured with the chips on the stator side I'm a medical engineer so we dont weld but use a thing called braze paste and us a blow tourch to melt peices of metal together it seems really strong so am going to use it to put some metal back where its been hacked away at. Ive been looking at getting the wheels powder coated so was going to send the casings off to get done aswell but not sure if I'd be best buying a tin of heatproof paint and doing it myself. Its mates rates with the powder coat guy he owes me favours so it'll probs run me around £30-40 all in but seen some people on here saying powder is okay on engines and others saying no... tbh, i think I will go with powder... seen a cool italijet dragster on ebay with the engine painted purple and looked crazy in a good way. Not sure purple is for me been looking at silver or red