Speedfight 1999 won't pull away with new parts HELP NEEDED

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Niko, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Niko

Niko New Member

I got my Peugeot speedfight new rollers, new belt, new spark plug, and now want to sell it as old enough to get a car and got it out and before the seller came the bike won't want to go anywhere but does rev on stand. Anyone know anything about this?

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Belt put it wrong I guess?

3. Niko

Niko New Member

Don't think. it's been done by a mechanic

4. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

I had exactly the same problem with my speedfight the other day. But after a while it was fine, turns out it was most likely water ingress into the fuel tank. You could try draining the tank and refilling it. I've started using super unleaded but can't detect a big change in performance, if any. Water leaks into the underseat storage well too but that's quite common. Couple of my mates experienced that and I read about it in a review so I don't tend to use the storage space when it rains. But how water managed to get into the fuel tank beats me, if that's what is was, and it's concerning so I cover it up when I can. My way of thinking is that the older ones (mines 2001) have tanks made with slightly porous materials. Never had any probs with the electrics though. Strange little beast.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  5. Niko

Niko New Member

It's been kept in a garage for like 2 months as I didn't use it and now it's behaving like plus I filled up the tank yesterday

6. milo2025

What a PITA. Maybe leave it and try it again tomorrow. Could just be having a funny few moments, maybe it doesn't want you to sell it. Ying yang karma and all of that. Good luck mate.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  7. Niko

Niko New Member

Hahaha thanks

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Wait, are you saying it won't rev unless it's on the stand?

9. Niko

Niko New Member

It revs on stand but it won't pull away on wheels

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I'm guessing a roller has stuck in the variator. I know you say they are new, but it still happens.
    Or the fuel has gone off/stale

11. allan campbelo

allan campbelo New Member

if it revs on the stand but dose not pull away when of the stand, I would say it's not a fuel issue.
    it must be the variator

12. milo2025

It sound like the variator to me. Had a similar problem with my speedfight. Luckily I wasn't too far from home as pushing it was hard work as rear wheel seized.

13. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Why not keep it, you can have a car and scooter !