Speedfight 100 no spark

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by matthew, Feb 3, 2014.

1. matthew

matthew New Member

Hi everyone iv got a speedfight 100 the crank stripped on the variator side so instead of replacing the crank i brought a complete viva city 100 engine, i bolted it in on the weekend and now i have no spark have checked all the wiring and put the stator off my old engine on and still nothing ,its also running a bypass cdi i really dont no what to do next any help would be great thanks matt

2. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    You need to start from what you know to arrive at the part you don't know.

Have you got any means to check the resistance in the coil that feeds the signal to the CDI unit? Are you sure that the clearance between the stator and the rotor is correct, so that the signal gets generated? Presumably you haven't changed any wiring around the CDI unit itself but can you confirm this? Are you currently using the Speedfight's original stator, rotor and CDI unit at the moment? Is the main fuse from the battery intact and is the battery charged?

3. matthew

matthew New Member

Hi merlin no i dont no how to check the reaistance in the coil , also not sure about the clearance either and no havent messed with any wiring just took the stator off my old engine because it was a 4 wire one and now no spark but was fine till i changed engine because of the crank stripping thanks matt

4. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    OK, let's take this slowly.

Are you using the Speedfight rotor and stator with the Vivacity engine? If yuou are mixing rotors and stators I'm not 100% sure that they will work, as there are a few versions that Peugeot used in their engines and they may not be interchangeable. If the crank stripped, did it damage the original rotor? Was the Vivacity stator a 5 wire one instead of a four wire one?

5. matthew

matthew New Member

Im using the original stator and rotor off my old engine and no when it stripped it was the variator side the stator side was fine and its a 4 wire stator 3 in the plug and a seperate wire that runs to the ignition the ped would of originally used a aec400 cdi/imobiliser box every thing is the same as it was before i changed the engine thats why i dont understand that its now not sparking thanks again matt

6. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    When you kick the bike over, does the headlight flicker at all? The headlight circuit is independent of the ignition circuit and we need to work out if the stator has any life in it at all. If the lights flicker a tiny bit when the engine is kicked over then there is some life there, so we move on to the CDI unit.

Check the fuse - does the horn work with the ignition on? If not, the fuse has most likely blown or has worked loose.

Has the immobiliser unit been completely removed? How have you removed the immobiliser function of the AEC 400?

7. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    I thought that this might help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Link:-

http://www.stenberg.dk/ACE400.htm

There are a lot of black wires on the AEC400 - are you sure that you have re-attached them correctly to the CDI unit, if you are running a replacement?

8. matthew

matthew New Member

Hi again iv been off work today and striped the hole bike checked all the wires running everywhere and they were all fine when i first got the bike the cdi was connected with the block connecters that you tighten to hold the wires in well while the engine was out i tidyed the loom up and soldered the wires insted,the heat must of melted the inside of the cdi i put a spare pit bike one on with spade connecters and its now sparking and running fine :) thanks for all your help and thanks again for that manual

9. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    You're welcome, at least we'd narrowed it down to the CDI unit, so that was a good hunch played there. :D

Every 'No' is one step closer to a 'Yes!'

10. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
    Listen to Merlin he's a lot of help, mine turned out to be a broken wire

11. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    I learned a lot about Peugeot scooters, from repairing the TKR every time my son managed to break it! :D

12. matthew

matthew New Member

Also is there anyway of telling what year the engine is from the engine numbers ? I want to buy a variator kit but theres a cat and non cat malossi one available depending on year do you no what the difference is between them ??

13. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    On the upper back of the transmission casing there should be a stamped number of the engine model. 100cc models are FB3 to FB6 models and if you can find that, we can probably find out if it should have a Cat fitted.

14. matthew

matthew New Member

Ok ill have a check when im up in the morning and let you no if im putting a sports pipe on should i just get a non cat one as the cat wont be there anymore

15. matthew

matthew New Member

My casing says fb6

16. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    If you fit a non-cat exhaust and you get a picky MOT examiner, he may fail it for not having the cat present. If the bike has a cat as standard, it should still have one with a modded pipe or it's a potential MOT fail.