speed flight 3 won't start

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Garren610, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Garren610

Garren610 New Member

HI I have a speed flight 3 and it won't start it run fine last week it has a spark and fuel but just turns over
    I cleaned the Carb but just won't go please HELP its a 50cc LC 2012 dark side model
    thx

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    hi garren and welcome to the shack

first off , you say your getting fuel but is it getting to the cylinder , you need to check that the sparkplug is getting wet. pop the starter a couple few times then pull out the sparkplug check the tip is wet with fuel, if its bone dry its usually due to a air leak.

if you cleaned out carb have a spark and compression and fuel you have all the needed things for a fire over, if this is not the case its possible there is a leak somewhere, check the rubber hoses/metal manifolds that lead from the airbox to the carb and the carb to the engine, sometimes these areas get a split or a leak and that in turn causes starting problems .

airbox filter, its very much overlooked check its clean and not caked up with gunk or has a lotta water in from the rain we had lately, this can also affect running and starting.

electric choke, pop the electric choke off and measure the plunger length cold, then connect it direct to battery on scooter for like 5 mins and remeasure when its warmed up, the plunger distance should have become more, if its the same as cold measurement the e-choke has failed and thats causing a to lean starting problem, usually the bike would start but it tends to take so long the starter motor dies before the bike catches and turns over.

the above is a check list you should go through to get those areas out of the way before we start to dig deeper in the none starting conundrum

3. Garren610

Garren610 New Member

thank you I get stuck into it this afternoon and let you how I get on

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Compression?

5. Garren610

Garren610 New Member

how is the best way to check that???? the bike has less the 5000 miles on it

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

With a compression tester