Speed fight 3 rs , 50cc watercooled

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Tinnaz, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Tinnaz

Tinnaz New Member

just got a speed fight 3 , few problems. Not had the scooter long , it’s my daughters first bike.

Takes a bit to get started , when it does reves up to about 6000rpm then eventually settles about 2500rpm. When pulling away can be sitting there for about 3 or 4 secs before it starts to pull away , every now and then when stopping at traffics lights etc it cuts out.most recently today when it was taken out when stopped it keptreving at about 6000rpm almost to the point it wanted move forward.im going to get it booked into the garage .... I’m going to get the variator cleaned and rollers changed (to standard weight) which is ?? , while there there get the air filter and spark plug done as it’s pennys. Thing is , person I got this off fitted a after market carb .... do I get it cleaned as it seems carb related or fit the original ( that I was given with bike ) , baring in mind this is my kids first bike and don’t want her to get pulled.had a stage 6 exhaust on , but changed this back to original which was supplied with bike.i don’t mind upgrading the items which are not obvious .. ie , sports clutch ,sports bell housing ,sports variator and rollers, but police and insurance will not like stickers with stage 6 in plain view!.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  2. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

The problem with people fiddling with add ins is that a lot of youngsters just throw on big carbs, open air filters and expect the bike to whizz along. I would start by comparing the stock carb with the new one. Has he bought a bigger carb? If so then pop the original back on and get the scooter as close to manufacturers stock as you can.
    Next start making changes slowly making note of how each change affects the running.
    High revving could be a lean mix, stuck choke or simply a sticky throttle. I would start by making sure the throttle slides up and down cleanly.
    High revs which then settle may be a sign of air getting into the system somewhere so check the manifold where the carb joins the engine.

Tinnaz likes this.
  3. Tinnaz

Tinnaz New Member

Thanks Buzz