Sorry,mate - did'nt see you......

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mark Emerson Trentham, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Just wondering why no one ever seems to mention,when your in a car,lorry,van,etc.,it's never mentioned that's whats going on with your perceptions & why sometimes bikers get taken out,is because that's what your tuned into in regards to others on the road - which is why this happens.....
    Is there some sort of failure in training for car drivers,riders,towards taking into account other road users,or is the system biased to what's mainly on the road.?.

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

People aren't taught to drive these days, they are taught to pass a test. That's it.
    As long as they are seen to move their heads enough times during the test, so to be seen as using their mirrors properly, they won't fail on lack of observation.
    The question is, are they really seeing whats in their mirrors, or are they just making the gestures.
    Push bikes and motorbikes get wiped up everyday, even the ones who are wearing Hi-Viz clothing. The excuse is always the same; "sorry mate, I didn't see you"

Look at what happened to JoJo, that is a classic example of a driver not paying attention.

Maybe it's because people have so many other things going on in their vehicles, phones, ipads, satnav, radio,
    mp3 players, that they no longer give their surroundings the attention they are supposed to give them.

The era of automated car driving is practically upon us now, maybe its a good thing for the commuting community, maybe not.

scootzmadness likes this.
  3. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Not using this just to have a rag at 4 wheeler's/mind,can't help but think as well.as to why they might use the above phrase,an bikes not read into it.;).

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

some people just turn their brain off when they drive, i know a few people like that......

5. thosoneill

thosoneill Active Member

Rides:
    Honda sh300i
    Apparently motorcycles/scooters etc cannot be seen by motorists - our bikes are too narrow and having a single or close together front light confuses the motorists sense of distance - personally I think that they are non observant / impatient as already said

6. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    Having taken bike,car and HGV tests in the past 5 years. I agree with what stevep said.
    We arent taught to drive, we are taught to pass the test and that is it.
    I had to pay for advanced lessons etc to REALLY learn to drive + ride.

People who have been driving 10+ years just think they are the best and couldnt care about other road users, especially motorcyclists and yes are impatient/dont give a shit/non observant, mostly dont give a shit.

Automation will work in SOME areas but not in others.
    I mean if these automated trucks come out, thats me and stevep out of a job aswell as tens of thousands of others (possibly 100s of thousands)

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

literally just had a SMIDSY moment, the car driver didnt even look, clear day, perfect daylight, mini roundabout, no traffic around except me....

8. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Na it ain't. Well not for me. These automated trucks will still need an operator for the licensing to ensure compliance. Hence the reason I've just done the 'O' license qualifications.;)
    I'm done with driving. I've got over 20 years in. I'd rather sit behind the desk now than be out there; although waiting for these exam results is a bitch.

9. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    I dont like them full stop.
    Its a bad idea. as much as i like progress.... just no, this is going to be bad.

10. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Just coming off the news 'bout Volvo trialing driverless cars for a 100 peeps to get to work with,it seems removing the human element from ' moving vehicles ' is the new fad??........
    I'm thinking my retirement in 20,is gonna be well timed.;).

11. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    grumble grumble grumble

:mad::)