sorn notice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Alex Barnes, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Alex Barnes

Alex Barnes Active Member

basically ive seen a bike i want to buy but after checking it out on vehicle enquiry it came back as on sorn but its got tax till end of november was just wondering how i would remove the sorn if i was to buy it thanks

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Puzzled?,
    just SORNED V/C 08:14,this morning -
    removal of SORN is simply done by buying a tax disc.
    If your vehicle is registered as SORN,would think that's the ticket.

3. Alex Barnes

i dont get what is puzzling about it ,, a bike i want to buy has a sorn notice on it but still has tax ,, how do i remove it ?

4. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Would think it's been SORNED on a current tax disc,you would simply need to get a tax disc.,
    not overly sure,but heard laws change Oct.14 concerning discs.

5. Alex Barnes

more money making scams is this shit with tax disk , because i know for a fact that if you buy a vehicle with tax already on it once the new tax laws come in then its void and you have to get another

6. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Would think,what the guys done.is SORN bike & not apply for any refund - so old(current) disc is useless,sure he's got a good selling point as vehicle is taxed.....but probaly was'nt taking into account someone checking.;).

7. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Maybe it was more hassle than it was worth to try and reclaim the remaining tax, or maybe you can't reclaim it as it's such a small amount of money.

8. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    if its got no MOT and insurance it has to be sorned too.the vision I bought of scootzmad had mot tax and insurance in his name and I got a blow in my ear from DVLA when he took the insurance of it though it still had tax/MOT for months after.

9. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Might be interesting or even easier taxing the V/C after MOT,methinks - do it inline & ride away.....hopefully.:).

10. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    whats happened is, previous owner/current owner has sorned it. not reclaimed on the tax. its not taxed. to remove sorn you need to pay the £17 for a year of tax. its not much to just retax and youll have to soon anyway. this new thing with the DVLA is actually making some traders life easier. we don't have to bother taxing cars now before we sell them. just MOT and tax has naff all to do with us. I personally think the new system is a good thing. harder to get away with riding without insurance etc etc

11. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Is this new tax thing,just for traders then.? -
    was thinking MOT in 2-3 months,waiting in the cafe.for a text -> then hot-footing it to the P.O. (for a new disc) ,insurance over the phone.

12. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    no, its for everyone, makes it harder to ride and drive without insurance, tax etc.
    taxing your bike/car will pretty much be the same, just buy it when you buy the vehicle and that's how stupidly simple it will be. not sure if youll still be able to tax at post office still but I assume you will be able to via some sort of form and they give you a receipt.
    what I was talking about for traders is -
    when we buy/sell a car, we wont have to tax it like we do now. we can claim for a refund if we have taxed a vehicle but when it comes to selling a car, itll be a case of, just put it through a MOT, service it and advertise it. instead of, MOT, service and then pissing about with all the documents and going to post office to tax it etc, just makes life that little bit easier. when we go to tax a vehicle we have to go down to the post office with all our insurance documents, licencing etc etc etc, once the new system comes into effect, there'll be no more of that. itll strictly be, MOT, service and sell.

13. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Yep,sounds like the makings of a phone call -
    To talk to the man.............. .

14. solorider

solorider Member

Rides:
    Longjia LJ50QT-K
    the traders actually lose out in that they cant claim tax back on a car they have just bought, the previous owner will get an automatic refund of their road tax.