Solenoid coil wire rewinding?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by 4strokelover, Apr 19, 2018.

1. 4strokelover

4strokelover Active Member

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Hi all.
    I recently broke a wire inside my solenoid/relay and just wondering if i rewrap the copper coil windings how should i do it ? Cant find any pics or info about it but know its possible.
    Do i wrap it series or parallel as i forgot to check before i unwound it all.

Its worth a try before buying another one aha.

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Buy a new one !

3. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Thanks for the reply.
    Its worth a try as im short on monies at the moment. It is allot of winding to do tho.

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    There's probably 2 meters of wire and was done by machine, a new solenoid is about £15.

5. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Buy a new one & use it as a template to fix the old one.;. -
    Got yourself a spare an a bit more info on a part.:).

6. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

They are sold on eBay for a few quid

7. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Thats a good idea i should of looked at it before taking it apart but didnt think at the time aha. I have tried normal wraps like layer over layer but it did nothing so im thinking it was wrapped on half of it and then wrapped on the other half. Hard to explain.

8. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Its abit more than 2 meters as it took me about 2 and half hours to wrap it back on

9. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    the problem you might have is the wire is insulated, you would be best to use new wire of the same gauge and length to create the same field. if your lucky there will be no contact between the bare wire and the electromagnet will still work, if its single wire it should be wrapped side to side and layer over layer. I have rewired guitar pickups and the principle is the same. if there is no insulation the windings would act as one wire and create no field.

10. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Yeah that makes sence. Its not insulated and think it was layer over layer and i rewinded it layer over layer side by side but did nothing.
    Do you think i could do ine layer side by side, tape it then do another layer over the top ect so the layers dont touch ?

11. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    the wire looks like its not insulated but it is. The wire has a thin transparent poly coating,

12. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Ahh right. We Learn somthing new everyday aha. Ill try (layer wrap then tape) and so on and let you know if it works lol

13. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Update it works and clicks like a dream aha . The reason it didnt work at the time was because when i rejoined the wires to the coil it didnt make contact because of the thin plastic coating so thank you CGC for that info ☺ now i know for future that there easy to fix..

CGC likes this.
  14. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    glad you got it working, guitar coils have the same principle, we tend to use new windings. you must have kept the insulation intact.

15. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Yes thank you and will remember for future referance. I am surprised it was intact to considering the ammount of times i unwound and rewound it thinking it didnt work. So if anyone has trouble with theres they know what to do.