Slow acceleration explained

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by Runneri, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Runneri

Runneri New Member

There are many topics about slow acceleration off the line. Answers vary from jetting to belt but I think it is most probably a variator question? My Gilera 180 2t runs off the line to 40kph at around 3000rpm and after that jumps to around 6000+rpm and starts going. Otherwise stock but 13,5 rollers, Polini blue contra spring and green Malossi clutch springs. How can I make it start 6000rpm straight off the line?

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Stiffer clutch springs

Stevep likes this.
  3. Runneri

Runneri New Member

Hi thanks for reply, I guess that will cause engine rew much higher in take off? Is there any way to tune the variator more like this video. Engine does not rew very high straight off the line but goes strong all the way to top speed:

I have a kind of dead area from 0-40kph, after that engine rapidly wakes up to some 6000rpm. Now Malossi green springs in place which are way stiffer than originals. What about lighter rollers (now 13,5)? Hoping it would take off smooth but keep the low gear longer in take off...

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Lighter rollers would help yes.

5. Runneri

Runneri New Member

What about sliders vs rollers in this case? Planning to replace 13,5g rollers with 12g slider if its worth the extra money...

6. Runneri

Runneri New Member

This seems to be more complicated than just "stiffer springs"-adjustement. Belts available to fxr 180 vary slightly both in width and length. It seems to me that I have chosen a belt (Daycon) that is both wide and short side of the selection. So the belt is not able to enter low enough in the front variator (and also does not reach the maximum low gear ratio in rear variator). Because of that you kind of start using "second gear" and missing the lowest gear ratio completly. Any experiece / knowledge / comments wellcome...