Sky Blowing at Manifold

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Del Sky, May 13, 2019.

1. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    The re-build/refurbishment is coming along nicely.....today have removed the main plastic body ready to rub down and spray with plastic primer.....was going to put engine covers back on, but I notice that the exhaust is still blowing at the manifold joint....I have the correct gasket in place, and everything is tightened up properly.....is there a paste, or sealant that I can use, to seal the join.....someone suggested copper grease ? but never heard of it.....any thoughts welcome.....

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Never heard of it either but you can get exhaust putty or paste quite easily. It works a bit like cement does. A cautionary tale though; wear gloves.

Del Sky likes this.
  3. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Thanks for that, yeah just needs some sort of sealant, I guess these things never go back together quite the same, after you disturb them.....

milo2025 likes this.
  4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Copper grease.
    Any good automotive shop sells it, it's amazing stuff and I HIGHLY recommend you use it on all the exhaust nuts and bolts. It's an anti seize lubricant. You can use it on battery terminals too.
    When putting an exhaust on, start at the front and work backwards.
    Those exhausts seal pretty well even without a gasket so something is placed wrong at a guess

Del Sky and milo2025 like this.
  5. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Thanks for that, gonna take it off again, and have a closer look, as you say something is not quite right.....

6. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Just discovered why it is blowing......it has the WRONG gasket, have Gun Gummed it for now, and the old girl is probably 75 percent quieter....we live and learn huh ?

Attached Files:

scubabiker likes this.
  7. milo2025

Indeed we do. If only life was a dress rehearsal we would be so much better equipped! :p

Del Sky and scubabiker like this.
  8. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Now the bloody thing won't start at all.....had the carb off (twice) today cleaned everything, still won't go, even with the old drop of petrol in the plughole trick......it WANTS to start, but won't.....got a brilliant spark, but won't go.....thoroughly cheesed of with it....scooters huh ?

9. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Rings?

Del Sky likes this.
  10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Or the autochoke

Del Sky likes this.
  11. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Rings are favourite at the moment, checked auto-choke the other day, it working fine, think will take the barrel off and have a look.....plenty of compression there, but maybe not creating a vacuum...….

12. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    This little bugger is still refusing to start......had the carb to bits (again)….had the head and barrel of (again) rings are ok....plenty of compression, decent spark, had a look at the Reed valves, they look o.k....but the bugger just won't go, it wants to, but won't...….dunno what to do next.....

13. milo2025

What a pita! Hope you manage to get it sorted over the weekend :confused:

Del Sky likes this.
  14. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Mmmhhh…...beginning to wonder if I overdid the gungum stuff.....this is the exhaust at the manifold end.....I wonder if it has blown one of the new crank seals out, thus causing it to not create the vacuum needed to drag the fuel / air mix through......further investigations are in order I think......

Attached Files:

15. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Take that restriction out....

Del Sky likes this.
  16. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Have cleared it all out now....still won't start.....only thing I can think of now is crank seals......having a look tomorrow.....

scubabiker likes this.
  17. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I mean it looks like the restriction is still in there.

18. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Managed to get the old girl going again.....took the carb. off (for the third time) cleaned everything again, put it back together, put it back on, and she fired straight up.....it's probably not revving as it should, but at least it goes.....

Attached Files:

19. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    So the old girl is running again, starts o.k, but no power there, she won't rev. up as she should.....fuel starvation ?.....or piston rings not up to the job ?...….thinking about getting a new barrel and piston kit...….bearing in mind it's got a Sky barrel, the piston out of a Honda Bali, and the head off a Sym 50......

20. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    I don't believe this !!…...took the exhaust system off, fired her up, running, revving like a good 'un, back wheel going round like buggery......if it weren't so noisy I would have gone down the street on her.....a mate suggested weeks ago that there could be a blockage in the silencer, and like a Muppet I discounted it......now, how to clear it out ?......