Skipper Project: Help Needed Selecting New Variator Kit.

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by macka, May 15, 2016.

1. macka

macka New Member

I'm after a new variator and have just looked on ebay for one for the first time and it's pretty confusing? The £40 kit I'm looking at is advertised for my bike, yet half way down the page there are multiple copies of the same kit advertised for completely different makes/models of bike???

What is the standard for this? Why will a "standard" kit that fits a Piaggio Skipper 125 also fit a Direct Bikes 125 or a Huatian Sport 125? And whats to say that I can't fit a "Gilera Runer ST 125" kit to my Skipper?

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    You need the correct variator for your scooter, the skipper st uses the leader engine so the ET4 variator would work fine. Genuine parts are always worth the money!

3. macka

macka New Member

After a bit of research on the Piaggio Vespa ET4, I found it to have the same L.E.A.D.E.R engine so I will assume you mean that any variator for any other bike with a leader engine will do, ie:

APRILIA HABANA (MOJITO) 125 2004 UPTO 2006
    SPORTCITY ONE 125
    BENELLI ADIVA 125-150
    DERBI BOULEVARD 125
    ITALJET JETSET 125
    TORPEDO 125 2001 ONWARD
    PIAGGIO FLY 125
    LIBERTY 125 2000 ONWARD
    ZIP 125
    PIAGGIO VESPA ET4 2000 ONWARD

LX 125
    S 125

Is there not a pdf out there that compares/has crankshaft sizes?

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

so you know, early leader motor variator is the same as the later ones, i had a runner VX125 that i put an aircooled leader motor into and just swapped all my parts over, all the transmission parts are the same