Simon's Project ET2 (update Page 7)

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by SimonT, Jan 9, 2007.

1. SimonT

SimonT New Member

Hi Guys,

Silly me keeps forgeting to upload pictures to post....hopefully ill be able to do it tomorrow.....

anyway over christmas, the ET2 underwent surgery.

First off i installed the 70cc kit.

All i can say is i cant wait til its run in. it feels so torqey already.....

i also gave it a hit of paint. the paint is a cyan metallic colour with a few coats of clear over the top. came up real nice. it doesnt really need it, but ill give it a sand with 2000 grade sand paper and hit it with the buffer.

next up is to install the kevlar belt sitting in my garage, order and install a champion C57 plug (polini recommended) and give it a full service.

any other ideas on what i should do next performance wise?

pictures of the original.... so just imagine it blue until i upload the new photos hehe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    always wanted to build myself one of these.. good to see somones not afraid to tackle such a "yuppi" auto :punk: next thing id recomend would be to check an see what size carb is on there.. if its a 17.5 this will do nicely and you can add a gear up and pipe.. (obviously a pipe will need clutch springs and roller setup to make most of the differance in power curve) this should see speeds of up to 65mph real speed (probably 80ish on the clock) as for what pipe to use i cant fault the gianelli reverse on the polini iron kit. around a hundread quid so not breaking the bank but really improves sound and curve. to make most of the new power avalable you can start playing with the transmission by fitting a variator and torque driver (polini speed overrange kit is a good deal as the variator is bigger hence has more possible combinations of gear ratio and has a belt supplied for around 60 quid) its up to you how far you wanna take it but the gear up will deffo put a smile on your face top end, you will loose the newly gained accel the 70 kit bought tho altho unless you like wheelys alot or dont want to go over 50 its a real must.

3. tweak

tweak Member

Fit some carbon fibre reeds to obtain improved throttle response

4. SimonT

SimonT New Member

Thanks for the response guys.

Not sure how the reverse pipe will fit on there.... as you can see the rear guards come down a long way.

the polini kit came with the reeds, so they are already fitted.

not sure what the carb size is.....how do you tell?

5. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    carb size will be printed on the side of the carb somwhere.. as for the reeds, you did fit the stiffer of the 2 to the right side of the reedblock ye? (its stiffer this side with the angled manifold to stop feeding the right side of the engine more mixture whan the left) this should be done with every angled manifold where as with a straight manifold you want the same thickness reeds in both sides. the polini kit deffinatly has 2 diff thickness reeds with it tho

6. SimonT

SimonT New Member

yeah...there were 2 thicknesses..... i did what the instructions said.... think it was the thicker one on the magneto/flywheel side of the engine.

7. SimonT

SimonT New Member

Dammit ..... lost the photos i put up the other day....

anyway, here they are again....

First up, the paint:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now the engine:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

whatchas think.......?

8. SR-STEF

SR-STEF New Member

looking good i personally preffered the cream colour before lol u want ome clear inicator covers on that tho looking good though m8.

9. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    looking good m8, i had a capri mk1 in a verry similar colour. doing things in the right order anyway so next is a pipe/variator and gearup.. you can keep the stock pipe but you really need one that puts the engine in the powerband where your barrel makes the most power. gear up will loose the accel you just gained but you will gain top speed.

my preferance would be a cheapish pipe (gianelli reverse works really well with that kit) a polini overrange bvariator wich adds 10mph and gives better accel and forget the gearup. you will see true 60mph easy with good accel and will wheely like mad :D

10. StEvO

StEvO Active Member

i dont no if they make them (probly because ive never looked) but search for some clear indicator lenses, will set the paint off a treat m8 :D

11. SimonT

SimonT New Member

Thanks for the replies guys....

Yep, after its all run in, power/acceleration and torque are amazing....

Top speed however is the same.....still only does around the 45 mph mark...

up hills though, ones that used to slow me down to 30 mph, i can now go up at 40 odd mph..... loving that.

so gear up and pipe are next.....
    what stuff do i need for a gear up?

also, the pipe you mentioned.... have you seen on on an ET? there isnt much room there (as you can see in the side shot at the top of the page).

clear indicators are expensive..... i looked into it, but was going to cost me close to $150 for all 4 (whats that .... about 75 pounds?)

12. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    i get what your saying about space.. can always jack the rear end up. small pipes are about and ive had ok results from a leo tt pipe on the same engine.. not drasticly better power but gets you in the right powerband all the same. is the veriator restrictor deffinatly out?

the gear up is probably easiest to be done by a pro, but if you wanna tackle it you can get a primary gear up kit and whip the clutch/gear cover off.. take the ley shaft out and have somone repress the new gear onto the shaft. then refit. i say primary as it saves you having to take the wheel/output shaft out of the bike.

like i said befor go for a polini sped variator (will say on the sc description how it adds 10mph if in doubt) this comes with a belt (longer obv) and a set of pritty heavy rollers.. will need lighter than it comes with im sure, also when you fit the pipe its worth putting in stronger clutch springs.

13. SimonT

SimonT New Member

so forget the gear up kit, and just go the variator and pipe?

id be happy with another 10mph i recon.... that will get me up to the 55mph range (which is 90km/h - freeway speeds are 100 and ive got no intention of going there.) my speedo only goes up to 80km/h anyway hehe (just shy of 50 mph).

oh... if you mean the washer between the cones in the front pully, there wasnt one in there (unless i was looking at the wrong spot).

14. SimonT

SimonT New Member

just got an email back from the shop i got the engine from....

he thinks the reverse style pipes will not fit..... and recommends a Gianelli GO pipe....

thoughts?

15. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    as i said befor the leo tt should fit it nice as its small and sits pritty horizontal.. cant think of any other pipes that would fit and ive used one of these on an ac70 befor now with good results. probably need 5.2g rollers and yellow clutch springs to go with the pipe.. 70-76 main jet in a 17.5mm carb if you wish to run a filter.. one or two sizes up for the stock airbox

16. SMF_12

SMF_12 New Member

17. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    now mo, he lives in aus... surely german/local importers would be a better idea :D

18. SMF_12

SMF_12 New Member

ah right, didnt bother doing all the reading, i just looked at the pics n a few words :w00t:

19. StEvO

StEvO Active Member

you serious? wow thats way too much

i payed about £15 all round for my blue one's.

from a crap company called T.E. motorcycle spares i think they were called

20. SMF_12

SMF_12 New Member

He needs to buy the full indy unit for his tho. you just got the lenses for urs !!!