Signs of things to come.....?.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mark Emerson Trentham, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Looking about for 'peds.around the 50-125 mark,there's a few electric scooter's popping up.!. -
    Is this the very early stages of the death of the internal combustion engine.??????.

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Well they have just finished testing a bus that has 1000 mile range between charges.....................
    Didn't say how long the recharging took though.
    Jaguar has developed a new ELECTRIC E-TYPE as well, but that only has range of 170 miles, and they say it will fully re-charge in 7 to 8 hours.
    Electric vehicles are ok as long as you only want short commuting distances, and hold a charge for about the working week.
    Anything more, forget it in this country at the moment.
    If you want to go and visit your aunt mable in the highlands it'll take you 3 days to get there.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  3. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Just wish they'd take a playing card & a clothes peg.an stick it on the wheel or something - those vehicles are just too damn silent.!!.

4. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    My Aunt's in Virginia.,ha ha.:).

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

One of the manufacturers has added a "soundtrack" to the car because people missed the engine noise; leccy engine, V8 muscle car noise.:cool:

6. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Reckon that'll cause psychological damage to some peeps.;).

7. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

China has millions of electric scooters and motorcycles. Most run on old lead acid batterys tho so not very efficient, unfortunately electric motorcycles dont seem to be taking off very quickly over here, they are quite expensive and small capacity bikes already offer very good milage per litre of fuel.

If i could i would buy a decent looking electric motorcycle but there arent many to choose from, zero are very expensive and the new super soco 1200r is slow as fuck and has no luggage rack options and most if not all of the current electric scooters that are actually in the UK market look like shit. It would be nice tho never to have to worry about servicing or driving to a petrol station again, i could charge at work free of charge and have more or less cost free transport.

8. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Think they'd be a bit 'souless' compared to combustion engines/mind,be no more sense of adventure/excitement - just a standardised hum-drum method of transport.;).

9. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

On long trips i agree but you dont find much adventure or excitement driving in the city with traffic lights every 30ft, i would defo be interest in a decent looking and performing electric motorcycle for the city but a good petrol engined back up for longer trips would be a must.
    Wasnt it announced in london that petrol and diesel engined cars would be banned from the roads by 2040, wonder if that includes motorcycles.

10. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Probaly depends on the economics,turn it into a novelty & slap some form of tax or regulation,with you ending up paying for the privelege.;).

11. Incpot

Incpot New Member

The re-sale value of these electric vehicles is going to drop like a proverbial brick off a block of flats as by the their 3rd year the batteries are going to need replacing and that will be a major expense, either that or there will be some sort of battery leasing scheme, so in the end I cant see the cost of running these things being any cheaper than fossil fueled vehicles we have now.
    Then there will be the road tax to match today's taxation, you've already seen the incentive free or low tax's being removed.

scubabiker likes this.
  12. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

A well taken care of lithium battery should not need replacing after 3 years. A lithium phone battery can last up to 500 cycles when charged to 100% and up to 500,000 cycles if only charged to 80% each time, car batterys like those made by tesla are showing they last much much longer than a phones battery even when charged to max. The old nissan leaf batterys failed because of problems in the manufacturing process.

Extremes of hot and cold will be a vehicle batterys enemy. but if its kept garaged then it should be fine.

13. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Im not looking forward to an electric future..

14. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Im looking forward to more options, they would be great for the city but i wouldnt want them to take over entirely.

scubabiker likes this.
  15. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Here's a thought.....
    what about the non fossil fueled engines that are being....held back.???
    By my reckoning,there's alot of patents,etc. bought by large corporations & stashed.;).