SFR172 Speedfight/Runner project

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by speedy-demon, Mar 9, 2013.

1. speedy-demon

speedy-demon ■□■□■□■□■□■□

Rides:
    Like a pro
    been thinking about the engine mount alot, heres the angle im starting with..
    [​IMG]

these or something similar would be perfect, either two on there own or one with a pivot/hinge mount..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speedy-demon

Rides:
    Like a pro
    Cut off the silent block from the doner bike
    [​IMG]

cut off some of the speedfight frame out and it fits in
    [​IMG]

slight difference on the engine angle
    [​IMG]

3. lee mason

lee mason Active Member

Rides:
    suzuki rg125 gamma
    nice project this is defo going to be one to keep an eye on

4. speedy-demon

Rides:
    Like a pro
  5. speedy-demon

Rides:
    Like a pro
    i reckon with the top mount moved back afew inch and a diesent shorter shock it should be alot better engine angle

6. speedy-demon

Rides:
    Like a pro
    Dont know wether to use the 125 rad a 50cc rad but with no fan..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

iv got a 50 rad to try but i need to buy a brand new one to look good.
    [​IMG]

7. speedy-demon

Rides:
    Like a pro
    Afew more pics of diffrent angles
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. speedy-demon

Rides:
    Like a pro
    Itsa dirty job but theres no point building it if the engine cant be mounted properly, as soon as iv got it sorted it will be shot blasted and freshly painted.. cant wait!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Head clearance..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Exhaust clearance..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next thing to do is mock up the exhaust to check the clearance with the engine mount and i need to remove or if possible pump up the tyres to check wheel alignment.

9. speedy-demon

Rides:
    Like a pro
    This was it before with a 120 malossi engine..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cant wait to see it with a Beasty MALOSSI 173/183 hangin out the back:D

10. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Im using a 125 with a fan rad on my 70 I couldnt imagine how paranoid id be with a 50 rad without one on a 172 lol. Ive a got VX rad with a fan and a sr rad if in doubt ;)

11. ramo

ramo GoldMember

A shorter shock will do alot of the work getting the back end right i reckon too. God knows how some people do these without welding :eek:.

Was one of my fave looking speedfights as it was before tbh 172ing it is pure win :cool:

12. speedy-demon

Rides:
    Like a pro
    Might fit another rad maby a small one or if possible double up the speedfight rads with a fan in between so one would be sticking out the front..? cant really sort it till the panels are on tho so ill have to decide when its built up.

I need to get some measurements to find out what size shock i need, iv got a scorpion exhaust so i can mock up the engine position and ill be able to find the rite angle and the approximate shock size, once this is all sorted and im happy it can be done properly ill start the build.

13. toby ball

toby ball speedfight 180

Rides:
    speedfight 180cc
    Wow dude you got loads done hows your wireing working fine on the ignition took mine of today final stages my L plate needs moving as rubs on tyres when front wheel of ground lool will get nore done now as weather seems to of settled down bit. that rad should be fine mines running a speedfight 50 rad works fine .

14. speedy-demon

Rides:
    Like a pro
    havent started the wiring yet, and im hoping the 50 rad will be good eneugh, im going to have vents on the inner legshield to help air flow.

still got loads to do, im smashing out the overtime to buy the tuning bits.. cant wait!

Check this link to a thread i posted about the wiring, im hoping i can get away with it.. fingers crossed
    http://www.scootershack.co.uk/threa...-speedfight-loom-easy-or-am-i-dreaming.29507/

15. speedy-demon

Rides:
    Like a pro
    Dont know wether to move the original speedfight suspension mount and find a shorter shock or use a gilera/piaggio moult and fit a typhoon shock or whatever fits best, i cant really weld the silent block untill iv sorted the shock and moched up the exhaust as the engine angle is gonna be diffrent. hmmm might buy a Malossi RS24 if its not too big

16. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Dont see why a gilly one wouldnt work. The threaded top part of gilly shock is probs easier to work with than other types too imo (bent bit of thick metal and a hole in tbh). Think i was told the top mount should be quite close to the seat lcok or something im not sure how right that is tho

The problem of using a totally different shock is that you most likely need another bracket for it to go on the engine and that will just add the length back on or youd have alot of options. The german shops have different length shocks for piaggio engines theyre only about an inch give or take overall tho tbh.. http://www.scooter-center.com/search?query=Shock absorber rear - YSS E, 270mm- Piaggio Fly 50-100&pn=1&ppp=20&view=small
    http://www.scooter-center.com/search?query=Shock%20absorber%20rear%20-%20BITUBO%20YZB,%20300mm-%20Italjet%20Dragster%20125-180

17. toby ball

toby ball speedfight 180

Rides:
    speedfight 180cc
    Your making hard work of this project no need to chop and weld anything tbh your just making a mess when all yoy had to do is bolt on the stage 6 kit :confused:

18. speedy-demon

Rides:
    Like a pro
    Cheers for the links ramo im gonna stick with a gilly shock then, seems the best option.

toby iv already got the stage 6 kit, its not made for a 125 engine so its not safe and with it the engine is at a crazy angle its a solid mount and theres a high risk of something breaking. and thats the last thing i want at over 80mph. im trying to take away the stress and strain of a tuned engine as ill be pushing out over 20bhp.. trust me i got this;)

19. toby ball

toby ball speedfight 180

Rides:
    speedfight 180cc
    But that means that every one thats fitted a 125/172 engine in the gilera 50 frame is unsafe. thats up to the rider i phoned and asked the people i brought my bracket of, the bracket is for puting a highly tuned 70cc engine. so in this case a very well highly tuned 70cc engine can be made to 20 bhp +. but im not saying what your doing is not good just all depends on the final out come. are you going to change the front forks speedfight forks at 80 mph gets me thinking not the bracket you seem to like spend a hell of a lot of money on your bike why not got malossi forks and twin shock the back end and put twim malossi on the back then i would the bike is falt less. Im turning mine twin shock at back wanna sell me the stage 6 jack up bit ?

20. speedy-demon

Rides:
    Like a pro
    im just making sure i build it as safe as possible and fitting the proper pivot and silent block mount seems the best option, im fitting vivacity forks and just a single shock rear end untill i can find the propper bracket or buy a TSAB and moddify it. i dont think molossi forks fit iv got some F32's on me dads runner i could try but i doubt they will fit, im buying a shock this week to mock up the rear end and if i dont need the jack-up ill ebay it and let you know.