Scooter wont start

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by longie, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Snek

Snek New Member

IF fuel is getting to plug, then that means Pilot Jet & passage is fine and not blocked. Spark plug sparking means spark is good. Make sure the spark plug gap is set correctly according to manual. A good spark will be blue / purple.

2. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Hi snek.he ain't got a spark.new plug.changed the coil.still no spark..checked the wiring and no breaks or damage..primary coil has action so we think its down to cdi. I'm no good with cdi units.I'm an old school mechanic..alternator and points coil condensor and centrifugal timing cams...cdi is black magic witchcraft.any ideas you might have to the prob...I think if its not cdi then he's gonna need all the help he can get

richy1985 likes this.
  3. richy1985

richy1985 Member

Still waiting for the cdi unit

4. richy1985

richy1985 Member

Hi jim would just like to say thank you very much for all the help and advice you have given me. Fitted my new cdi and started straight up just put my new battery on charge so all good :)

5. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Glad it sorted it.been thinking all day what else it could be if it wasnt.don't throw the old one away..if your up for it...later on if you could take a few meter readings off it and I can compare readings with mine and start a cdi test chart.need to learn more about the black art that is "CDI units"

6. richy1985

richy1985 Member

No I have left the old one in the shed the problem is you don't get a reading it is simple as that. And if u did get a reading it would blow up your multimeter cus you get like 10000 volts through it

7. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    I was thinking in its static state unconnected to the power.think there's a rectifier circuit in them as well as all the other gubins...power regs diodes/caps and such like.if the 6 pins have any relation to each other and yours now don't.gives the other suspect units a reference point to say if they may be naff or not..no rush as such..just after using ya as a source of knowledge ..

8. richy1985

richy1985 Member

We already tried that n there was nothing. We tested the wire that goes to the cdi unit and there was voltage and was a complete circuit so we new there was no broken wires and the stator was working. So nothing eles part from the cdi unit.

9. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    No probs....looks like their one of those things that cant be tested..works or it don't..

10. richy1985

richy1985 Member

Yh it says that in haynes manual there is no test for them

11. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Bloody pain that...digital stuff does my head in.gotta be a way of doing a loom of some kind to eliminate it as the problem.gonna delve a bit deeper into cdi,s.....must be some kind of pin to pin resistance referencing or capacitance/HFE test..if the are components in it then there has to be some kind of meter reading that shows up..I've done a lot of electronic stuff in the past so not gonna give up on it...might be able to bung a voltage though it and get a scope reading or some other stuff. I like a challenge

richy1985 likes this.
  12. richy1985

richy1985 Member

Yh thats wot I could not understand surely there is a way to check it. Let me know please if u find a way how to check it

13. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Oh I will..got some spare 2 stroke ones so I can do a few readings and see if there's any differences between them.got another one when I had my problem but got the wrong one...did a Google search and found a site that explained how they work but no test info.got scootzmad,s engine and old loom off his vision so ile have a go at reconstructing the ignition side and see what I come up with.

14. richy1985

richy1985 Member

Yh u can do that have you got the stator though cus that wot powers the cdi unit ?

15. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Yer..got the whole engine.won't be doing it for.a while though...more after a way to check and eliminate the cdi as faulty more than anything.so many components on the electrics can be working in fresh air and then they get put under working conditions and fail or partially work...at least now if yer spark plays up you've got a replacement coil and a cdi that's got a year guarantee..

16. richy1985

richy1985 Member

Wonder if it under guarantee cause its of ebay ?

17. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Anything you buy online new has the same guarantee as if you bought it in person from a shop.eBay have lots of extras that protect the buyer from dodgy online sellers...some dodgy buyers use these protections to scam he sellers too.such as...non signed for items..it turns up at your house and then you inform ebay it didnt.they give you the money back if the seller doesn't give you a new one...dodgy but some people do it..

18. richy1985

richy1985 Member

So I just contact the seller if it fails with in a year :)

19. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Yep.and your receipt or proof of purchase is logged in your eBay purchase history so you don't need to keep a paper proof of purchase.

richy1985 likes this.
  20. richy1985

richy1985 Member

Ok thank you very much speak soon