Scooter wont start

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by longie, Nov 18, 2013.

1. longie

longie New Member

Hi guys looking for help my 125 scooter wont start they is fuel getting to spark plug got a good spark but will just not fire up I've clean carb and still no joy would be great ful for help

2. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    what scoot is it

3. longie

longie New Member

Lexmoto Valencia 125

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Check valve clearance, 0.04" in-0.05" ex.

5. longie

longie New Member

And where is that

6. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    if you got a spark then ide also check if petrol is getting through,check the carb and if your up to it...whip the carb off and clean it...there's a little petrol shut off needle valve behind the float that some times gets stuck shut it it ain't used often..if no spark..check coil cdi and cap.it could be a number of things but loose wires on chink PEDs are common..ive had loads of problems with mine and it ain't always what you think it is.have you got good compression..stick your finger over the plug hole and wizz the enginge over..if your finger feels a phut of air then its odds on its OK.if there's no compression then you have to take the cover off the head and see if the rockers are moving both valves..if not then cam chain is naffed.can you tell us more of what/how it came to not start..

7. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    sounds like you need a manual.take the side panels off and your find the valves under the head cover...the flat plate above where the spark plug is ...there's 4 small nuts holding it down if you take it off your see the valve rockers and on one end of each is a nut and a screwdriver slot this but needs to be loosened to adjust the gap, the piston needs to be at a certain point to do it.top dead centre on firing stroke..you have to slide a feeler gauge under the valve top and the rocker arm and turn the slot till it nips on the gauge and gives a sliding fit with the gap set you can then try the above things.. if it don't start after trying the stuff above and doing the valves the only thing I can think of is there's a problem in the rotor side case that maybe playing up...im not into the electronic side of these things so you will have to have a word with someone more up on it on here...good luck,your need it.I've got a Roma..love the look of Valencias..

8. longie

longie New Member

It was running fine On Friday and then on Saturday just wwouldn't start I've add it turning over then seem to die On me but its only turning over for seconds they is fuel goin to carb but not a lot to spark plug from wat I can see when I pull it out I'm working on it now so would be great full for as much help as possible

9. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    sounds abit like one of the things mine had..if you've done the carb and got a spark it could still be the coil or cdi...mine ran luverly at a stand still but died under load..it back fired and popped like crazy at exactly the same point in the road every time I took it out.i could back off the throttle and it ran for a while..thought...arrr..carb blocked..cleaned the carb...no change..replaced the carb with a new one...no change.I changed the coil and no change...but with the metal shroud off the plug cap it ran fine if yours has got a metal bit on the cap..try it with it off..if that don't help change the coil.a fat spark in fresh air is not the same under compression. most coils off of chink and jap bikes will work.don't worry bout the wires going in to the coil...they can work both ways round..its ac voltage.hope that gives you a fighting chance

10. longie

longie New Member

11. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    ain't got a clue how to send stuff on here.I'm on a android pad and its like a chink bike. trouble..what bit are you needing info on.

12. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    have you got a land line...I can ring you

13. richy1985

richy1985 Member

I have the same trouble going give it the all good over on friday, could the valve clearance make it hard to start ? Going try n test the cdi unit as well. When I checked my spark plug it looked weak but not sure how bright it should be

14. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Try changing the cap and coil..some plugs have a resistor...cr--- type.and some not..c---type.the cap may have a resistor thats gone loopy.mine had a 5k ohm cap and normal plug.if the plug has a resistor and the cap too..change one or the other so it hasn't got too much resistance..mine was playing up and I replaced the cap..coil..plug...most 2 wire feed coils will work.I'm using a coil from my Honda vision...before it was a nightmare...now its running like a dream

15. richy1985

richy1985 Member

Ok cheers mate

16. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    The problem I had said to me carb...cleaned it..no change...even bought a new one and still had the problem..phoned petrol scooters and they said check the carb manifold for leaks..did that and trimmed the gasket and sanded the faces of it flatter so it fitted properly(wanna check that too)..no change..had a week spark..so changed the coil..cap..plug.bingo.longie had the same problem too..had to phone him and sort it cos of my inability to explain clearly..it fixed his problem so maybe if you get a GOOD quality Japanese coil it won't come back..chink electrics is its down fall..amongst other things..

richy1985 likes this.
  17. richy1985

richy1985 Member

Ok will bear that in mind. U mean the cdi unit? Or the coil lead ? Giing check my valve clearance first

18. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Wont hurt to check cdi.The coil I'm on about is the FULL unit connected to the spark plug.cap lead and black unit its connected to.I had a similar problem years back with a honda 250 k4..had a spark but ran like shite.change the coils and it was fine.your know if the tappets need any kind of looking at cos their make a tick tick tick noise when its idling.but if the engine runs in any way then you will hear them.tappet problems are usually slow to develop cos its caused by wear,if it is running like as you say...ide guess its not tappets.

19. richy1985

richy1985 Member

Checked the spark and there is no spark at all

20. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Oh dear.makes things a bit simpler..If you got another fresh new clean plug try that..still no spark...check the coil.remove the cap and hold the lead near but not touching a good shiney bit of the frame and kick the engine over.might be a good idea to use an insulated pair of pliers or a good thick pair of gloves cos there's a chance your get a shock...if you get a spark...change the cap....no spark...remove the coil and if you've got another bike to try it on..go for it.don't worry bout the wires on the back..it will work both ways round.an ignition coil is basically a transformer..it will work on AC or DC current.if you get a spark from it on another bike....you now need to delve deeper.simple thing first..check EVERY single connection.,not just the plugs tightness but all the wires in the plugs and sockets.if your up to it un plug them 1 by 1 and give them a clean..if you still don't get a spark on the coil..look for any damage to any wires ...no damage...find the cdi and test it on a bike that it fits...cdi units are not my bag so can't really say anything one way or another bout how to test them.but if all else fails...replace it...I'm not sure if these bike have any kind of primary coil that gives a bit of ac power to the coil/cdi unit...that coil might be knackered and not giving you a starting current.if your bike can start without a battery then it got this kind of set up.right..think that just about covers most things that I can think of without going into magnetism and alternators etc..good luck