Scooter Wont Start! PICS Provided!

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by GreenRanger, Jul 13, 2019.

1. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

I've taken it to two different garages who have both fixed it just for it to stop working again after a few days.

So now i have no choice but to fix it myself on principal.

The kick start wont work and neither will the electric start but i am going to try and start it on the kick start first then try and see what's wrong with the electric start.

I've taken a few pics and everythign se 2.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 1.jpg em sfine apart of the teeth on one of the parts keeps gettign destroyed when i try ti kick start it.

Please help !

2. Karmafield

Karmafield Member

Did it just magically stop working, bog down or you just can't kick-start it? Well, first open your choke (If you have a manual one), hold the front brakes, open the gas throttle 1/4-1/2 open and try to start it with the starter or kick start it. From the pictures, you definitely need a new kick-starter gear. I don't really know a lot about scooters, but either the kick pedal doesn't go all the way back, or the gear gets stuck and you just round it. Do you notice any drag while driving? Like grinding or crackling?

GreenRanger likes this.
  3. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Thanks for the reply!

Yes it just stop working. First time it stopped I was told (by a garage) it needed a new automatic choke which they changed and the bike was fine.

Then after a week it stopped running I thought it might be because it rained before but then it should of started from the kick start which it didn’t.

I kick started it so many times I think I broke the kick start (something inside) and so took it to another mechanic who fixed it no problem.

I had a feeling it would just stop working again after the second garage got it running which did happen after two days of it running.

When it runs it’s great no noticeable issues whatsoever.

The only thing I can think of is for some reason if it sits for more than two days it is hard to start it...

I recharged the battery and the battery is good...

Can you also tell me which specific part I need for the kick start to work as I think it’s just that one part in two of the pics where you can see some of the threads have become damaged. For some reason when I kick start it more threads get damaged every time...

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Change the bendix (with the broken teeth), change the mating half (on the front of the variator), and the half moon, put the spring on the bendix in the right place.

5. Karmafield

Karmafield Member

One question. Can you still use your starter?

I kinda seem to get the idea. Let's go over basic things. Turn on the ignition, kick it few times. Now take out the spark plug. If it's wet, you get fuel into the cylinder. Now put the ignition cap on, turn the ignition, ground the side of the spark on a metal, try to kick it. If you get spark, the problem may be inside the carburetor (possibly choke).

For me the mating half looked fine. You should definitely replace the bendix.

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I'm i the only one thinking the engine is maybe seized snapping those teeth.
    I'm not so clued up on Morini motors though. Could just be a weak part

7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

The location spring is missing.

8. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

So I just need that one part that had the broken teeth which I showed you in the pictures? And that part is called the bendix?

Why does it keep getting damaged (the teeth) when I try to kick start it?

Mate I’m gunner need pics it would make it a lot easier and faster for me?

9. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Not really. It kinda feels like it will work but my kick starting ability isn’t best as I’m partialy disabled but after a few kicks something goes wrong inside and I have to take it apart so I’m thinking it needs a new part or at least to be put back together.

I had this kick start issue as I mentioned in my original post and the mechanic from the second garage I took it to fixed it without replacing anything.

The chokes fine did you read what I wrote further up. I said it’s already had a second hand automatic choke replaced. Recently.

I need a direct link please to what the specific part (bendix) looks like as I don’t want to buy any unessesary parts.

10. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Yes you are. The engine isn’t ceased. I don’t think whatever is causing it not to start is a big deal...

11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

If it's wrecking the bendix then the teeth on the half moon are more than likely worn/shot as well. Changing the mating half on the variator is to rule out another bad part at very little cost.
    You've got the bendix in your hand!

12. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Yes I thought so.

Does this contain all the parts I need?

And are they of good quality?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-49cc...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

13. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

wont fit

14. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

You're on the right track, but check the drop downs on the ads to make sure it fits your bike.
    I just checked the drop down on that ad and it says it will not fit your bike.
    Try calling pedparts tomorrow, they normally have stock.

15. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Cheers for the help mate. So what shall I tel them apart from the bendix is there anything else I need? I need a new half moon is that the same part as the mating half also?

Someone mentioned a spring or something was missing?

16. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Btw in the second to last picture where you can see everything is assembled, is that the correct way it should be put together?

As I said the previous mechanic simply put it back together and it worked...

17. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

The bendix you have in your hand should have a sort of clip/spring.

18. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

It does mate (if it’s the same clip spring I’m thinking of) it’s in the second to last pic...

Btw does the bendix and all the kick starter cogs need tk be lubricated in order to work properly?

As all the fixing I’ve done as made it clean.

Also, I just put everything back together yet again and when I went to kick start it it felt as if something wasn’t right I dunno how to explain it but it would only kick at the lower end of the lever if you follow. Then the clip spring just keeps greeting spring out from the bendix after about three kicks...

Apart from the bendix which has broken teeth do I need any other part?

Also do I need to buy lube and if so which one is a cheap one that works? Can I use cooking oil?

19. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

I added a gps tracker which I think might be draining the battery but then again I think it only actually uses battery power when in use and only then it’s very small amount so I dunno why the battery has died. It got a lot of juice left in it and charges quickly...

I’m charging it now I o eliminate that as an issue.

20. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

The mechanic fixed the bike quickly with no problem when I took it there and from what I can see and have shown you all it’s in good condition so it’s bugging me that it keeps not starting!