Scooter still isn't right

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by cormskie125, Jun 18, 2020.

1. cormskie125

cormskie125 New Member

I've a Sinnis Shuttle 125 no miles only about 3000 have been having problems after it was stored for few months It was going fine recently but now it's konking out again. Started today ran fine for 5 mins then stopped. Tried to start but was very difficult then got it started then drove it for one minute and it spluttered to a stop.
    Anyone know what I should look at? PS please see my previous posts that's why I want a fuel injection conversion because maybe I wouldn't have to deal with these stupid engine problems

2. The Messenger

The Messenger Active Member

could be any one of a number of things...

when it conks out and wont start have you checked to see if theres a spark ?

is the spark plug worn out or fouled ?

is fuel getting to the combustion chamber ?

have you got a blocked jet in the carb ?

theres a few basics to be getting on with before you dig deeper and start looking at compression, valve timing etc etc..

3. cormskie125

cormskie125 New Member

Thanks going to take the thing apart until I find what's wrong, how to check for spark? How do I do that?
    Is fuel getting to chamber? How do I check that?

4. cormskie125

cormskie125 New Member

Has anyone else had problems with the Sinnis Shuttle 125?

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

If you don't know how to check for a simple thing like the plug sparking, I strongly suggest you take it to a garage.........

6. Rickard Pingol

Rickard Pingol Active Member

Or watch one or two youtube videos :)

Sam phantom likes this.
  7. The Messenger

The Messenger Active Member

unscrew the spark plug from the cylinder head, refit the spark plug cap and ground the spark plug against something metal on your scooter.

can be the actual cylinder head or barrell or even the frame.... turn the engine over with the electric starter or kick start and look to see if the spark plug is sparking.

Sam phantom likes this.
  8. cormskie125

cormskie125 New Member

What the point in this bloody forum then? This is called the Workshop you Moron

9. cormskie125

cormskie125 New Member

Again what's the point in having a Workshop Section on a Scooter Forum if all you can say is go to YouTube why don't you jump in a river and stop with your unhelpful remarks Moron

10. cormskie125

cormskie125 New Member

Now you can all FUCK OFF I'll figure it out myself this Forum is pure crap anyway Black Background is this 1996? Bye bye

11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Obviously his scooter is really important to him.....................it's taken 3 weeks for him to reply.

Maybe we should have suggested an evening class, Scooter Maintenance for beginners, and maybe a Haynes manual.
    But somehow I get the impression that he wouldn't have lasted in the classroom..........
    Oh well, I do hope he gets it sorted, and then moves on to a fuel injected scooter, which when that goes wrong he will need a dealer only code reader to diagnose the problem, then a degree in advanced English to diagnose what the error code description actually means in plain English.
    Then the knowledge to locate the part that the diagnostic says has faulted, only to find out that it wasn't really that part in the first place that was causing the problem and fault code, but another piece in the electronic system that relies on the other part to tell it what to do.

HeyHo, I'm away now.........

12. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

You have your answer from The messenger

13. Rickard Pingol

I guess you aint Reading this but. A video is so much self explainatory. Than having me or others with words try to explain even the simplest of tasks still be a really long message. And again I dont know what skill level you are. Either your a pro and things is straight forward. Or as some. That knows shit. And dont even have the tools for the job. Or even know the name of the tools. Even less, different parts. And so many times I've written a long t3xt how to, and I dont even get a simple thx. Or no reply art all how it's going forward. In this day and age, youtube has the answers to most issues. I'm a single dad with two toddlers, I just don't have that much time. And again since not so many people doesn't value my time. Or just thinks everything is for free going in to a forum and just expect answers right away. Without the smallest thx. I'm a bit reserved at the beginning, whit the time I invest. But it's appreciative if some people did some research before asking for miracle answers. Like this standard question: HELP my scooter doesn't run. what can it be? Answer: it could be A LOADS of things. Sorry for the long rant. Anyhow that's my answer for why I sometimes tell people to youtube :) take care

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    hairyjim likes this.
  14. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Hi Rickard..I've used youtube a few times putting my ped together over the last few weeks.last time for the kick start spring.absolutely agree with what you say..I don't think it could have been explained better than a simple 2 minute video.im not a stranger to a spanner but these modern bikes are new to me and are put together differently to what I'm used to so.you tube has some good videos that can help out with out even realizing it..panel mods frame mods light fitting alternatives etc.all the things people do to their peds can be seen and give people an idea what can be done if you know it's been done or attempted before and works or not.lots of people have done some crazy things to bikes in the past and put them on YouTube i ain't gonna go on but I'm open to lots of alternative sources of information.i don't know everything..just enough to be dangerous.

15. Rickard Pingol

Yeah. You have to be restrictive with what you hear and see on the web. I usually try to watch a few vids in the same subject. Different approaches, and sometimes different people have som smart tricks/solutions you can pick from here and there

hairyjim likes this.
  16. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    I tried for hours on that spring pulling it round with a shoe laces and thinking the spring was wrong till i saw a pair of mole grips being used to pull it round.did it second go ...then the kick shaft pushed in when i put the circlip on and 2hrs later i finally got it done.the case is on loosely now.gotta fit the starter motor and it's bits and do the loom but I've found another fault with it now..one of the cylinder studs is broke so only 3 holding the cylinder on.the list of things I've found so far to stop this bike from ever being in the road whilst in the previous owners "care" is as follows.
    1 throttle cable too short.missing angle join
    2 airscrew right in
    3 no kick start
    4 no electric start
    5 no earthed coil
    6 missing exhaust stud and Ill fitted pipe
    7 cylinder stud snapped
    I'm hoping to get my enthusiasm back soon as I've hit the wall again..

17. Rickard Pingol

Hope the cylinder stund hasn't snapped inside the engine/whole. Otherwise its an easy fix

hairyjim likes this.
  18. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Hope so too...get out tomorrow and have a proper look and take the head off and see if the piston and rings are ok too.mole grips and a good twist should sort it out.may have been a blessing really given the state of the rest of the bike.needs an exhaust stud too so may as well replace it all while I got the barrel off.not knowing it's past history fully,I wouldn't be surprised the barrel,rings and piston could be knackered.dig out the feelers and check the rings and groove gaps for slop.might be better in the long run to put a new bbk on it and move on.the gianelli pipe I got with it is a piss poor fit with the bracket that's on it so maybe easier to get another pipe too.see how it goes tomorrow and if I need another barrel etc Ile just put it all together and forget it till I get my mojo back.fed up with 1 step forwards 2 steps back recently.got this far so I'm on the rebuild road still.all just trial fitting TBH but it's bloody frustrating.aaaarghh.

Attached Files:

19. Rickard Pingol

2 step forward 1 step back. Keep you focus on your goal. Gonne be so nice when your finished. Ripping the streets.