Scooter not starting after riding for 30 miles

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Kriskeogh, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

Hi

Had an issue with my scooter today, rode it about 30 miles up and over to Haworth and parked up

After having a breather I come back to my bike and find it won't start. The electrics turn on ok but it won't start, either ignition or kick start.

Have I overworked it on the way as there were some steep inclines where the bike was at full throttle to get up hills

Or is it the fact its a new bike so needs riding in

Or do I need to raise this with the dealer when it goes in for service.

My concern is in summer I want to do a run to the seaside and that's about 45 miles. What then worries me is getting there but not being able to get home

2. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

I take it you got it started?
    If it happens again, as you are turning it over on the starter, try opening the throttle a fraction.
    I assume you are not touching the throttle normally?
    It's air cooled so in theory you could thrash it all day with no detrimental effects.
    Possibly it will need looking at when it is due a service as things will still be bedding in.
    Some manufacturers have a different setup to protect the engine when new and at the service it can be altered.
    Mention it at the service.
    Nothing serious probably the heat altered the fuel/air ratio and opening the throttle should do it.
    Apart from that possibly the air screw on the carb needs altering or the valves need adjusting which may be done on the service anyway.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  3. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

Nice one, thanks for the detailed reply

Got it going and it got me back again, took an easier route home with less inclines and more periods of cruising along at 40-60

I didn't want to stop and turn it off for fear of it not restarting

When I got home I stopped in the street, knocked the ignition off and back on and again it wouldn't start. The ride back is about 25 miles and pretty level

Been back over an hour and it still won't start

4. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

Update:

It will now start but you have to hold in right brake and press the ignition button.

If you use the left brake and press ignition it doesn't start

Added it to jobs that need doing on its next service.

5. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Sounds like the l/hand switch is stuck. If the dealer is near and you have the time they may have a quick look as it's still under warranty.

6. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

They can't see it till later next week so gonna find somewhere closer and get them to check it over. If it incurs a charge so be it

7. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

You should be able to check it yourself easily.
    If you pull the lever in you should see some sort of tiny push rod sticking out between the gap.
    The lever just presses this in/out. There should be some wires going to the brake lever.
    When you pull on the lever the spring loaded plunger pops out and the circuit is made to allow the starter to work.
    I would guess the plunger is either stuck in and just needs pulling out or the switch has come loose in some way.
    You could compare how far out the plunger is compared to the working front brake lever.
    It's a bit new for the switch to have failed.
    There should be a small gap between the end of the plunger and the brake lever when it's fully pulled back.
    Poor service though for a new scooter by the dealer. It would only take a few minutes to see if the switch is working without dismantling everything???

8. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

9. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

WHOA.
    Hang on.
    If it's a new bike you can't take it anywhere else except the dealers, it will invalidate the warranty,
    then if it goes wrong it's all out of your pocket.

Some bikes these days do have just the one circuit to connect the starter circuit to the button, so it may be just a quirk of the bike.
    Do another ride, I know you may get stuck again, but do it locally, and try the hot starting again just using the right hand brake lever and not the left.

10. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

The sym 3 has a switch on both sides and I believe he has been using the l/hand one up till now.
    That is why I suggested having a quick look to see if the plunger is operating rather than take it elsewhere as it may be something simple.
    I would have thought the dealer could have at least had a quick look as it is still under warranty but I expect the Easter weekend is getting in the way.
    If your scooter is anywhere near the first service just book it in for that while you are at it and mention the problem.
    From the sound of it the dealer isn't up to much so once the warranty has run out find a more friendly dealer.

11. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

Hi

Dealer can see it next week but not till Friday, with nature of it being a small fault they probably would give it a quick look before then

I can get someone closer to home to look at it on Tuesday as I'm more concerned about brake light not working when using the rear brake

I've had a look inside the brake but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for

Yes, Easter weekend doesn't help matters

What causes something like that to develop a fault. Some of our roads are a bit rough and the ride over to Haworth yesterday was on a road that was terribly bumpy, would that cause a fault like that to happen?

12. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

I
    It works just fine with the right brake

13. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Well you've just diagnosed it yourself.
    If the brake light isn't working on the l/hand lever then it's a faulty switch.
    The starting circuit goes through the brake switch to enable it to work therefore if that switch or circuit isn't working the starter won't activate on that side.
    It may have become dislodged or stuck or possibly a connector has come loose.
    If you imagine the top of a ballpoint and the spring loaded plunger. Basically the switch is the same it goes through the lever bracket with the plunger in between the lever and bracket.
    When you pull on the lever it allows the plunger to come out and activating the switch.
    If that plunger is stuck in the switch won't work.
    Nothing serious or expensive but if it needs a new switch then it should be covered under warranty.
    You should be using the front brake anyway so the brake light will be working.
    I hope you are not just doing the braking using the rear brake only?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  14. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

No, I generally brake using a bit of pressure on both brakes, the only time I use the rear brake is if slowing to corner and releasing the throttle doesn't slow me enough

Highly likely to have happened on some of the country roads I was on yesterday. Certainly something I will bear in mind and keep to A and B roads in future

15. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

No need for that chances are it's a one off otherwise you wouldn't have trail bikes etc.
    As I said it may be one of the connectors that may not have been fully pushed together.
    The garage will find it. If it's not the switch the front panel or handlebar top will need to come off to get at the connector.
    It should only take an hour to check.

Kriskeogh likes this.
  16. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

Appreciate the help