Scooter Dying and Cutting Out

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by LibbyLou, Mar 7, 2017.

1. LibbyLou

LibbyLou Member

Rides:
    Kawasaki J125
    Hi, I've had my Direct Bikes Cruiser 125cc for three years now and suddenly it has started to cut out on me - I can feel it staring to "die" ie when I'm turning the throttle I feel it then it suddenly cuts out..... I have to wait a few minutes then I can start it again and then its fine ! Can any of you advise, does this sound like something I can have a look at myself or would it need to go to a garage?

Many thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Hello LibbyLou

The first place you can look is your air filter, over the months and years they get clogged up with dirt and grime and can cause your scooter to act in funny ways like you mention. on the left side of your bike where your kickstart is you will find a large box (above kickstart) this is your air filter. the front cover your see is usually held on with a few philiips screws.

when you remove this front cover inside you shall find a foam pad, you will want to give this a good clean , best way is good old fairy liquid and warm water.

pull out foam filter and grab your fairy liquid, apply a good hefty drizzle of fairy liquid onto your foam filter and work it into the filter , it will get a little sorry looking and nodoubt turn a funny white'ish colour, but do not worry. get that filter really worked over squeezing and masaging that soap in. next fill a bowl with some warm water and plunge the filter in give it a good old squeezing to work that soap and dirt/grime out do this a couple times .

once we have most of the soap out we can do a rinse cycle, fill your bowl again and repeat above step rinsing the rest of the soap out of the filter , we tend to do this twice to make sure we try remove all soap and dirt grime, once we have rinsed off the filter you need to let it dry , pop it into the airing cupboard for a good 24-48hrs , you must install a dry filter so if its still damp leave it to fully dry. now place the dry fiter back into your filter box and put the face plate back on. This is the first place to check , go out for a few short runs close to home see if the scooter acts up and starts dying or cutting out, if a dirty filter was the cause you should find everthing all hunky dory .

Hope this helps

3. LibbyLou

LibbyLou Member

Rides:
    Kawasaki J125
    I will try this at the weekend, thank you very much for your advice - I will let you know how it goes :)

4. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

As well as cleaning the filter pop a new spark plug in.
    Once filter and plug are clean and fresh if you still have issues then its probably fuel and carburettor related.

5. LibbyLou

LibbyLou Member

Rides:
    Kawasaki J125
    Thanks everyone, i have tried all of them, filter was clean, spark plug was ok (and already quite new) fuel pipe was clear - so off to the garage it goes i think - I have a feeling it may be the carburettor now

Many thanks again