"Running In" Guide

Discussion in 'Comments / Feedback / Suggestions' started by rezzin, Apr 3, 2008.

1. rezzin

rezzin Member

Would be good. I see/have seen a lot of questions regarding the running in process of a brand new engine,or a brand new engine part,be it 70,100,125,172 etc.. Would be good to list what is generally a good time frame to run certain items in such as crank,variator,piston,rings,kits etc..I also know there are different theories as to how long some kits are meant to be run in,such as cast iron v nicasil or whatever,you get the drift. So basicly just use this post/suggestion as a starting block and build up and branch it out to various other things,be good to keep it engine related though. Thought this may help some fellow boys out. Also thought id try and give something back to the forum seeing as all have you have given so much to me. Ride safe. :up: (YAY OR NAY IDEA?)

2. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

crank and variator dont need running in :D

Running in only applicable to iron barrels really ;)

3. rezzin

rezzin Member

Fair enough then,would be good for a guide on running in on other components though. Someone make one,someone who knows what there on about. List different kits etc,as im aware the running in periods vary. Also why doesnt someone whos willing to,list advice as to oil,weather to run premix..blablabla,basicaly just the do's and donts! :up:

4. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    tunning and running in are totally indevidual.. i dont even run in iron barrels tbh.. rag it hard, rag it always, if it goes bang build it better

as for premix/gears again personal preferance.

5. rezzin

rezzin Member

Fairdos boys,ideas worthless. :( Was just trying to give something back. :up:

6. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

thing is this tuning lark is down to personal preferance really...
    2 different people may go about something in 2 different ways,

but achieve pretty much the same net result :D

Theres an old saying that explains the situation pretty well!!

"Theres more than one way to skin a dog" ;)

7. RY4N172

RY4N172 New Member

Tbh with the kits you should get a running in guide with them

My polini corsa says 500KM and shouldn't go aboth 3/4 throttle

:tup:

8. Jamie

Jamie Active Member

Rides:
    xt660x, 200sx s14a
    i run my kits in as minor does

thrash the tits of it so seal the rings and your done.

never had a problem, except when the oil pumprattled itself in on the 2 extreme kit.

the polini kit was inspected just before the bike went and it looked brand new after about 600 miles or thrashing.

9. Biggie

Biggie New Member

Iv heard people say kits have the same power coming out of them if they have done 1km or 300km
    but i definatly notice the difference after around a hour of use on every kit iv ran in...

10. jj180

jj180 Active Member

Rides:
    Mrt 183/Vespa 300
    ive always run mine in for 400miles, dont ask why just makes me feel better whatever ive been told otherwise ill think fuck it and be scared lol :emb:

11. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    lots of opinions and nobodys really right... i let the piston warm up and the engine settle at idle.. then let it cool down.. then take it for a gental ride.. then cool, hard ride (literally round the block) let it cool..
    if its not an iron kit all the running in is done, rag at your own free wish.

if iron ride as you would but limit full throttle to 5 second bursts.. dont ride for more than 20 mins at a time an generally give it more time to heat up
    this can be ignored after 100 ish miles..

as i said befor, if its not iron rag the shit out of it, if it goes bang it was going to in the first place and you should have set it up properly