Runner vxr 200

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Skete-vx125, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Skete-vx125

Skete-vx125 Member

just recently treated myself to a vxr 200, I used to own a vx 125 and the vxr 200 knocks socks of any Ped iv owned on riden to this day, and it is in mint standard condition like it just rolled of the shop floor for an old shape runner, been well looked after as can be seen by the forest of service history and so on that came with the bike. Only problem is when I hit over 40mph I get a rattling sound and a vibrating filling it doesn't matter weather I pin it up to 40 all creep up to it it's always past 40 and onwards, but when I come of the throttle it stops in till I throttle again.. Any one got any ideas to what it could be as I don't want to start tearing the bike apart as I say is a decent bike nor do I want to ignore it and it cause more damage.. I know a bit about the 4t runners and I can only guess it's either rollers or a lose vavle, but can't work out why it's only past 40mph and stops when I come of the throttle.. Thanks for any help guys would be much appreciated!

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Check the silent block condition and the wheel balance weights.

3. Skete-vx125

Skete-vx125 Member

Thanks for the reply mate, Had a look today and they both look all good to me, I have actually got a silent block and rollers on there way as I thought it might be either two, I can only describe it as, when on a car the heat plate for exhaust is lose and it's taps, but iv gone over the hole bike giving it little taps to see if any thing was lose and didn't find any thing, i even drove today with an empty boot to see if it was anything I had in there as I Carrie a bag of small tools but with out them in boot still does it, I just can't work out why it does it only over 40 and it is literally soon the needle goes over the 40 mark it starts..

4. Skete-vx125

Skete-vx125 Member

I done some research and found some one who had a similar problem and some one send it maybe the drive belt and I check that today and tbh it looks brand new, I started the bike with out cover on and was running fine no noise or movement, when bike standing I have no noise or vibration only the usual.

5. Skete-vx125

Skete-vx125 Member

Iv also notice when I Rev that bike when going along the rear end kicks out, and when I'm hitting top speeds is asif I'm get a tank slap.. Maybe this had something to do with the problem too

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Try this;
    with the bike OFF the stand, apply the front brake hard, just the front brake.
    Rev the engine enough to make it want to go forward but not able to because you are holding the front brake on hard.
    Watch the rear of the engine as you rev it.
    If it 'kicks' sideways a little (or a lot) then the bushes have gone in the swing-arm and engine cradle.
    Best solution for that is to order a new swing-arm complete and engine pivot bolt (because the one that's in there will normally be seized in).

7. Skete-vx125

Skete-vx125 Member

Yeah I think that's the problem mate as when I drag the bike over to put it away I can fill movement in the back end, would the be the reason for the vibration aswell then? Thanks for your time and help appreciate it

8. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Well, it probably wouldn't help any.
    9 times out of 10 when they come through the workshop, they're so knackered it's hard to believe the bike can still be ridden.
    You will be able to feel some sideways movement when you drag the bike over, that's normal, but try it as above and let us know what you find.

9. Skete-vx125

Skete-vx125 Member

Ok thanks mate I will try it first thing in the morning.. Where about is your workshop would you be interested in the work.. I'm all for a bit of diy but the bike is so mint for its age I wouldn't want to do more damage than it's worth lol

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I'm way up in birmingham, plus at the moment I'm back and forth to Wales because of the place we've just bought as a family concern, so I'm out of the frame for a good while on anybodies jobs.
    Just for the sake of it, this is the view from the lower balcony of the 200 year old welsh stone cottage: IMG_20160828_191725.jpg

11. Skete-vx125

Skete-vx125 Member

Ok mate, Living the dream mate! haha don't need a Ped need an endro for landscape like that, if that was my back garden I know I'd have to treat myself to a Ktm 525 endro lol

12. Skete-vx125

Skete-vx125 Member

I did what you said today mate about hold front brake and Reving bike and yes the engine kicks out to the side, iv been looking around and I'm not sure on what I should actually be buying.. I know you said engine swing arm and engine pivot bolt but Im not 100% sure on what these actually are as there as few bolt and engine mount/ frame parts lol.. I got the new silent block and new set of rollers in the post today so will be fitting them the weekend but as for the silent block I don't know weather to fit the new one or not if I'm changing things..

13. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

14. Skete-vx125

Skete-vx125 Member

I'm not made of money but I suppose to be on the safe side I may aswell get both parts, I did manage to find this http://www.pmtuning.co.uk/s-arm-repair-kit-run-vxr-125-180-200 but that means changing it all myself at 100 when both the parts you've shown me is around 180 witch I assume are already to just be bolted on, seems it would and sounds a better angle of attack to me, I'm thinking weather I can get hold of a 2nd hand 125 swing arm and use that as vxr 200 2nd hand parts are hard to find.. That's if they use the same frame as the vx 125.. Thank for your time and help mate your a true gent lol

15. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Don't rush into buying both parts straight off.
    Now that you've seen what you possibly need, you should be able to identify which part has gone quite easily.
    I know from experience that the kit you found at PMT will do the job, but by 'eck it's a bitch to do, especially with those little needle bearings.
    I would suspect that you only need the frame side swing arm as that is normally the part that goes first, but i'm only guessing.
    Take some time and repeat the test I mentioned above with the brake and revving, use a mate to do that while you have a look with a torch at the suspect problem.
    Hopefully it's just the cheaper part that's mullered, after all, they only have nylon bushes in the ends of the tubes.

16. Skete-vx125

Skete-vx125 Member

Cheers mate, I noticed to day I had a look at the engine mounts and notice the parts you said I should look into, where the bolt goes threw there's a cap when nut is so I'm thinking it may of came lose and just needs to be tighten up, I'm at work at the min so going to have a proper look when home.. It's tight to the hand but I don't think the should be a cap between frame and nut

17. Skete-vx125

Skete-vx125 Member

Just had a better look, I treated the bike to a new plug and when I was fitting it I had the little panel of where you can reach to the plug not that it's in the right spot but hey least the tryed haha anyway I had a good look at the frame mount and I can pull it over by hand there's a few mill play init so I'm going to order a new part wish you recommend, dreading fitting it no cause by looks of it you have to drop the engine.. So I'm thinking jack it up straight and hopefully can pull old out a slip new one in with out moving any of the engine and so on.. I hate doing the work myself because scared I might break something else but hate paying labour charge for aomething I can do myself lol

18. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Well, at least it's better news than expected:) being the cheaper part that's required and not both parts.
    Might be an idea to have a mate on hand to steady the bike when you are doing the job, just in case:rolleyes:
    Take your time, don't rush it, it'll come good and give your confidence a boost at the same time.

19. Skete-vx125

Skete-vx125 Member

That's true mate won't learn unless I try, properly won't be till next week due to posting, I'll let you know how I get on, thanks so much for your help and time mate really appreciate it :) hope it sort the rattling/ vibrating noise out too..