Runner (50cc, 2002) won't start-no spark

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Stingray0977, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Stingray0977

Stingray0977 New Member

Rides:
    a lot...
    Hi guys,
    Litlle help needed... I wanted to start my runner (50cc 2002) today but all i got was few coughs at first and then nothing. Only yesterday it was running and starting with no problem There is no spark what so ever. First I checked few standard things as a new spark, checked all wireing with multimeter(found no shorts) and checked all connections. Next I checked voltages to cdi and there is around 90V to green wire and some 1,5V to red one, so that should be OK. Afterwards I switched cdi to my other runner and it was working just fine. Also cdi from my other runner is giving me no spark when I switch it to mine. So I guess there should be a short of somekind/somwhere? Got any ideas? Is it possible to start an engine, on a kick-start, with only wires from stator to cdi connected? An keep the rest of the loom disconnected so I would eliminate other circuits from giving me problems?

Thanks for your answers, tips, advises..

2. Stingray0977

Stingray0977 New Member

Rides:
    a lot...
    Hi,
    Found a problem... :) It was a wire problem, sort of. Bike is striped down so I was not paying attention to where all the wires are hanging. It looks like I had a short through one of the wires. After I sorted that I got a spark and bike started immediately.