Ride Safe Guys

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by DashG, Sep 7, 2014.

1. DashG

DashG New Member

Edit: Sorry about wrong category didn't see the video one.

Don't know if any of you have seen this video circulating on the internet, but it really does make you think...

Watch it to the end

2. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    sorry to be dick but its kind of his own fault that he died.
    he shouldn't of been speeding the way he was, he was going WAY too fast for the conditions. he may of had quite a few years in the saddle but theres a time and a place for speed... ive said it again and again.. the road isn't the place for it.
    its sad its happened, I get the point of car drivers need to look more etc etc but bikers also have a responsibility to keep themselves safe.

my one and only aim everytime I put my leathers on and go for a ride... is to get home alive and safe.

at the point where he was overtaking the last car before the smash I saw exactly what was going to happen. too fast for the road, too fast for the conditions, too close to the car when he overtook, road markings indicate there is a junction coming up but he chose not to slow down... at the point he was overtaking the last car I saw that car... he should of slowed down. I feel sorry for his family and the driver of the car.

3. DashG

DashG New Member

I agree that his speed wasn't great - I remember getting my first 600 and thinking most times when I got home how stupid it was to have gone so fast etc - Sorta why I ended up getting another scooter...

But... On the same token I reckon if he was going 60mph there wouldn't have been much change - The space between the 2 was so small and theres little room for reaction there :/

4. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    yes there is little room for reaction but if he was going at 60mph he probably wouldn't be dead right now. people think there isn't much difference between 60mph and 90mph etc etc there is.
    at 30mph he would of had a broken leg or something at 60mph maybe a few more broken bones at 90mph death is almost a certainty.
    if you cant control the throttle responsibly don't allow yourself access to so much power.

there was quite a lot there that could of been done to prevent that happening.
    speed is the major thing, if he was going just that little bit slower he might of had time to react and hit the brakes and hit the car at a slower pace. if he read the road correctly hed of known a junction was coming up and slowed down for that junction then sped back up afterwards. the roads clearly weren't dry and perfectly smooth. to be doing that speed is stupid.
    sorry but it just annoys me when stuff like this is used to have a go at car drivers telling them to look out for bikes more - yes the car could of looked and probably stopped but the driver was the innocent here, its hard for a car drive to judge a motorcycles speed.

feel sorry for his family that they've had to go through the pain of loosing him but it was his own fault really.

Scouser likes this.
  5. DashG

DashG New Member

Yeah ya know what, your right, Ive come off at 60mph before but didn't hit a car. It's a powerful video though and might make people think twice

6. showaddydadito

showaddydadito Falling off since 1976. Strangely cow obsessed

Rides:
    06 Sym 250, 96 XJ600
    I'm really sorry that the lad died - there but for the grace of God go I.

Think about Defensive Driving.

The phrase "defensive driving" gets bandied about, but people usually fail to explain what they mean.

Defensive driving does not mean living in fear and never going fast.

Defensive driving means - as the name implies - defending yourself against the things that can go wrong. So, for example, on a road like that on the video, at a junction like that, you consider the possibility that the car might turn, and even though you technically have right of way, what will happen if the car does turn. You might slow down, or weave side to side to increase your visibility - neither of these things is mandatory but either or both could well have saved this lad's life.

There will always be those who respond "but the car should not have turned" - and that is true. But the car did turn.

For a very simple analogy - you are standing at a pelican crossing waiting for the lights to stop the traffic. The traffic light goes red and the green man lights up - do you just walk across the road, as is your legal right? Or do you look first to make sure that the traffic is stopping/stopped (the equivalent of defensive driving).

You take your life in your hands when you ride a motorcycle - ride safely.

7. supraking

supraking Well-Known Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX125
    i watched it the other day. there are arguements both were at fault. the biker should have done better at reading the road and should never have let himself get up to that speed, the car driver should have spent a bit longer looking before pulling out.

the one thing i did think though, the biker saw the car in the turn lane, and never backed out of it. personalyl id have eased off and got the hand covering the brake as soon as i saw the car, never mind once he was already turning.

either way its a powerful video and hopefully one that will make bikers and drivers change their ways.

i lost a friend a couple weeks ago, he was on a 650 and he hit a box van. i dont know the circumstances of it all, but a witness posted the biker wasnt speeding and the van driver did nothing wrong. they were on a corner, i can only presume my friend target fixated and crossed the lanes.
    since this i have decided against doing my DAS and am now deciding between 125 licence and a2 (so i can get a 250 if i need to commute alot on the motorways)

8. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    The speed limit on that road was 60, yet this rider was doing 97 MPH and was doing at least 95 when he shouted "Whoa!". The speedo needle is vertical and on that particular bike, that's 95 MPH - check the pictures of clocks on eBay for yourself. The driver had seen the other car and had mentally allowed enough time to turn before the car was upon him, but he didn't see the bike until he pulled out to overtake and at 97 MPH the reaction time was virtually nil for both of them. 95 MPH on the speedo a split second before impact shows that he hadn't even had time to start braking before the impact and that was down to totally reckless driving on his part.

The guy in that video is just as much of a tool as this guy.

The difference is that this idiot was very lucky not to have been killed.

Sympathy? I have none for both of them, because in both cases, their speed exceeded their riding ability by quite a considerable margin. They were both reckless and stupid and one paid the ultimate price for that stupidity.

Speed? Save it for the track, if you must do 100 MPH, as there's not much to hit on a track and nothing is coming the other way (generally).

9. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    You make your choices..................