Replacing rubber stopper and removing rusted screw

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by MrXT, Dec 12, 2017.

1. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

The rubber stopper on my center stand is fucked its eroded and needs replacing as its causing very loud squeaking. I ordered a new one from https://www.bike-parts-kymco.uk/ and they sent the wrong part!. They sent the rubber stopper for the sidestand instead which is a totally different shape and now wont respond to emails so avoid those french bastards!

Is there any other place i can source this part? i tried cmpo but they dont have many parts at all for my kymco agility city.

How do i remove the screw holding the stopper in? its got a metal hood around it and a nut shape around the screw head and both the screw head and the nut shape around the head have shreaded as iv tried to undo it with a screw driver and an adjustable spanner.

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

wouldn't be the first time i've seen a ground down door stop rubber used.............
    I'm presuming that the rubber passes through an 'ear' on the stand itself?

3. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

I thought about a door stop but thought it might be unsuitable because its made of rubber designed to be inside the house so I over thought it and bought a laboratory rubber stopper, you know those rubber bungs they use to plug test tubes for chemical reactions back in the old school days, they are also softer than door stops.
    I wanted some chemical resistant rubber due to it being under the bike and being splashed by all the shit on the road diesel/anti freeze/motor oil ect so i bought a large one of those drilled the existing hole bigger for the metal pin it plugs into and cut in to size with a stanley knife and it works a treat.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Yeah, definately over thought that one;)

5. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Turns out neither worked, the lab rubber bung crumbled and fell off after about 2 months and I replaced that with 2 different door stops and they too failed after about the same amount of time. They split and fall off.

What type of rubber are these stoppers usually made of?

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Several thick tap washers with holes drilled to suit?

7. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

What about car tyre rubber cut to fit. Resistant, hard wearing, nylon infused.

Stevep likes this.
  8. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Now THAT'S a good idea:cool:

9. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Just don't get caught by your neighbour with a rubber square in one hand, Stanley blade in t'other standing by his cars flat tyre

4strokelover and Stevep like this.