Replacing my frame....

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by Mark Emerson Trentham, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Had a low speed slide on a vivacity 100,were a bit nasty/and i've started to replace front end,lastly want to replace the frame.
    Will be doing a full transfer of all from the headstock/upwards&backwards,as engine and electrics are in perfect order-
    not knowing the range tooo well as yet,my ? -
    Would any frame in the 100 series (99 on) be suitable for a straight swap over?,any particular frame I may need to avoid...taking into account things may have changed over time.,cheers.mk.

derp likes this.
  2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Is the frame itself bent Mark?

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  3. KidBilly

KidBilly Active Member

Rides:
    Zip 125
    My thoughts exactly, if it ain't bent why replace it.

derp likes this.
  4. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Playing the slide back through my head,fact the lever(s) dug in and momentum & weight -
    would not be surprised...cause something is deffo out of alignment,what with feeling like the front end is going to slide out all the time and no longer feeling as assured banking on curves or going around corners.
    Have another wheel,tyre,disc,bars,so far,was going to play it safe an get frame an forks next or transplant for rolling chassis.
    Have'nt had full equipment off yet,job on for this sat/sun.,only way I know personaly to check for a bent frame,is to check for any bumps in paintwork that compress or flaky in a line.

5. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Was only doing C 15-20 mph,couple of 100 yards from home,making my way down bigger access road..not rat-run.
    cars either side.parked up,some working class.vis-a-vis vans,high too vehicles-
    Audi pulled out of a side turning,car coming the other way pulled out,i came a little bit over to the left to accomadate,then when he pulled back in lane,i snapped back in self.......to be faced with a bright red Audi,only yards away.
    At relitively low speeds,both my fingers are floating over brake levers,i physically tryed to 'pull' the bike away from the car,JAMMING the front brake on.which STOPPED ME DEAD!!!,back end slid around causing both sets of levers to dig in when momentum flopped bike over.
    No damage to grio/rubber ends,spindle end,caliper or visible on forks,front panel did pop up/out of 2 base mounts(no damage),disc warped(back squeak)-
    My suspicians ARE very assured frame is warped or bent,cause force of impact,i was later to discover...has loosened races.notable by back / forth movement of front end,whilst wheel elevated.

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Loose steering head bearings are the norm for that bike, i see loads of it, and people aren't aware until i show them.
    I would remove the handlebars, front panel and lights, tighten up the head bearings so that the front wheel has no forwards/backwards movement, make sure the front turns freely with no snagging or tight spots, and expose the entire front end so you can see everything, where the forks pass through the frame stem. Put the bike on the centre stand on flat ground and take a look from about 10 to 15 feet away, from front and back. If the forks are bent in any way it will show in the movement from left to right full lock. You should also be able to see if the top of the forks, where it sticks out the top of the frame tube, where the handlebars attach to is bent.
    I would think, and be surprised at, that at the low speed you say you where travelling at, it has bent the frame.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  7. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Planning long those lines,this weekend-
    just waiting for dust-seals + castellated socket.;).