Renovating Yamaha Slider

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Mbike65, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Mbike65

Mbike65 New Member

Hi

I have just joined and I'm renovating a Yamaha Slider I have owned since about 2002. I used to ride it all the time and went through the whole 70cc upgrade process (Polini Corsa kit, Polini For Race etc) but it became a back of the garage thing when I got an XT660X. My son is going to be 16 in July so I thought I might start renovating it for him.

2. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

Welcome. Nice unique little bikes, I had one brand new in 2002 funnily enough.

Gets some photos up if you can

3. Mbike65

Mbike65 New Member

Hi Sam

Fun little ride wasn't it?

Back then I was an admin on the Yamaha BWs Yahoo group and there were quite a few of the vertical minarelli powered scooters out there (original Bws/Booster/Spirit/Rocket/Slider/Stunt. We used to group buy parts from Terry at Taffspeed (who was an expert on the group until he sadly passed away) We also had some deal with Scooter Attack. I will try and dig out a photo from the "glory" days.

Sam phantom likes this.
  4. Sam phantom

Yeah please do! Yes loved it, it was my first road legal bike. The booster was a great little bike too... very popular in France

5. Mbike65

Mbike65 New Member

My first bike was a DT50 back in the day (early 80s), but the Slider was definitely fun when I bought it. I derestricted it first off (washer on vario) replaced the CDi for a Top Performances one and put on a Leo Vince pipe (can't rememeber the name but is wasn't a reverse pipe expansion chamber. After that I got the tuning bug and swapped out the vario for a Malossi one, the 50cc for a Malossi cast iron 70cc. Then I swapped that out for a Polini Corsa kit Polini For Race pipe and a 21mm Dellorto. At the next stage I put in a doppler crank a doppler rollerless vario and an uprated Malossi clutch and clutch spring. I got a Doppler Air filter that kept falling off cos it was two heavy and I think the last mech stange was uprated reed valves. It was very fast and I had enough power to uprate the wheels for a 12" set off a Rocket (the originals were I think 12 at the front 1o at the rear. Bodyworks wise I made it a Naked (before they released that model) with some bars and a stem from some mail order place in france and I swapped out some of the bosy parts for carbon fibre look ones. I lived in London at the time and quite a few times I found ferals trying to nick it from my garden (no garage) so it was secured with a ground anchor and had an immobiliser and an alarm fitted. I will dig out the photos when I get home.

6. Sam phantom

Sounds like a true love affair.. you just jogged my memory with the naked model! Never seen one on the road only in a magazine

Yamaha dt50 there fetching a pretty penny these days... iv just got my self a similar crosser style bike a gilera rcr50 after selling the Malaguti phantom smilar engine to the slider but horizontal version. tidying the rcr up ready for the summer

Awaiting slider photos.....:rolleyes::cool:

7. Mbike65

Mbike65 New Member

Here are a couple of pics of the Slider as it was.

First is stage one mods described above so pretty much stock except for the Leo Vince exhaust.

mbike_slider.jpg

Second one is with the Polini For Race pipe, Neos wheels (I forgot I had Neos 12" before the rockets) and a few minor cosmetic changes. I think I must have a rise on the shock as it looks higher too but its so long ago now I can't remember.

Slider with Polini For Race.jpg

Sam phantom likes this.
  8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Im wondering if we met at the ace one time? Southend shakedown.

9. Sam phantom

You lived in the uk scuba ?

10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah.
    Peterborough, then Enfield, then swansea.

11. Sam phantom

Did you do Southend shakedown a few times then ?
    When it was good.
    They’ve tried to stop it the last few years, local shop owners were furious

12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah, must have been ten years ago.
    I had an aircooled VX....

13. Mbike65

Mbike65 New Member

I don't think so mate, never made it down there. Although I did ride round north west London quite a bit.

14. Mbike65

Mbike65 New Member

I just went on to the Zuma/Bws Yahoo Group forum I used to moderate on back in the day and pulled off some more photos

This was the Naked set up I had wen I took off the instrument cluster. The square one was MBK OEM part from the Naked, shipped over from France and above it was a tacho from Scooter Attack

n_a (3).jpeg

This was the Doppler filter on the 21mm Dellorto. It was the best filter for my set-up but was too heavy for the jubille clip supplied to hold it on so had to be reinforced.

n_a.jpeg

Some extra air I created to cool the engine down as it tended to overheat even thos I fitted a modified air scoop. The carbon fibre look sheeting came from scooter attack and shrunk to fit with a hot air gun

n_a (2).jpeg