Registering a scooter as a 70?

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Jonnymarrw00t, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    I'm old enough now to reg as a 70 (well have been for a while) Is there much point ? Will it effect
    sail-ability? Etc.

2. FiddyRox

FiddyRox Well-Known Member

Rides:
    Aerox, CRF450, YZ125
    Would've thought it would slim the potential market down hugely, not everyone cares about being legel and most people interested in it would be 16.

Its rare that 16 year old get caught with 70 kits, so at 17 I wouldn't worry about it (since you're allowed to have it)

3. Duggiedan

Duggiedan Piaggio zip 50cc

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip
    You might aswell keep registered as 50 as wen comes to selling it be open to more people (such as 16 year olds) and if you get pulled by police for any reason and they say about the speed just say its 50 with derestriction and few performance parts ( just bull shit it they know fuck all :)

4. ramo

ramo GoldMember

It wont be a moped so youll have to pass a >50 MOT
    Some jobsworth insurance places will want you to produce a engineers report. Others wont insure you at all
    It will be a pain in the arse to reregister as a 50 if you or the next owner decide to
    etc etc etc

In short its a tin of worms that is in no way worthwhile. It sort of makes sense if you're changing the engine ect but for the sake of a part that takes 20mins to put on and take off theres no point as far as i can see

5. craigdmjv

craigdmjv 1984 Yamaha Salient............<3

Rides:
    1984 Yamaha Salient
    it takes 20 mins to change a scooter to a 70cc kit :eek:

6. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Okie dokie, was just seeing as if i'm spending over a grand already in parts and more to come, Don't want to be fucked right over if I have a crash.

7. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Best thing to do is declare everything other than the cylinder. If youve got a long list of stuff youve declared and tell the (near) complete truth they wouldnt really have reason to suspect that you will have intentionally not declared 1 part.

And its hidden away on a a/c as compared to most other upgrade parts that are basically in plain sight. This also gives you good grounds to say 'how was i supposed to know it was there' if the worst does happen.

8. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    if its registered as a 50 and have altered ANYTHING without notifying the insurance, they are within their rights and terms & conditions not to pay out or honour your policy

If its a small mod or a biggy, either way you'll have breached their policy and will be technically illegal without cover if they find out or things get questioned

In reality, everyone changes parts to make things go faster etc but unless its a 50 caught doing 80mph (you get the picture) it'll never be picked up or questioned

For me being an antique with cheap insurance, it pays to declare everything so they've got no excuse as a cop-out...plus I've taken loads of pics for evidance should I need to prove anything

9. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    I don't mind registered it as a 70. I don't care if my bikes totaled but it's just that if I damage someone's car, would they pay out for that and not my bike if I got caught or neither ? I'll probs do as above register everything sept the 70cc kit.

10. Duggiedan

Duggiedan Piaggio zip 50cc

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip
    If you hit a car they would still pay out for the car but you cannot claim as its modifyed if they find out

11. Stathis

Stathis Black Nrg Power 70cc Beast!

Rides:
    Nrg Power 70cc
    is it even possible to register a tuned scooter??? :confused: i thought scooter tuning is illegal.. lol :p
    craig: yeah you can change a 70cc kit to a 50cc kit in about half an hour if you are a fast worker and you know what to do well ;)

12. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Tbh illegal but not against the law :p. I think in some countries where you can ride them from 14 etc they are tougher on it

13. Stathis

Stathis Black Nrg Power 70cc Beast!

Rides:
    Nrg Power 70cc
    yeah in my country if you go to register a tuned scooter they will laugh at your face lol :p

14. SpeedFight-TrueFight

SpeedFight-TrueFight Pug-Way is my Dub-Way :P..

Rides:
    Peugeot Speedfight
    keeep all your original parts wen i had accedent wen i wa 16 my dad replaced all parts to original wilst i was in hostbitle but the insurance take ages to check your bike anyway

15. TeZ258

TeZ258 Member

Rides:
    Speedfight 50cc
    One answer to the insurance q's... Don't crash :p

16. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Alot of insurance places will send someone round to do a damage report instead of taking your vehicle if you ask.