Refreshing a tatty 2012 Vespa LX 124 Touring

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Sophie, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Sophie

Sophie New Member

Rides:
    2012 Vespa LX 124
    I am a newbie and have just bought a used 2012 Piaggio Vespa LX 124 Touring scooter off eBay. (Paid too much but that's another matter.) I want to get the dents, rust marks and scratches fixed and repaint it. Depending on how much it costs. What would be the best way of doing this? Replacing all the panels? Or taking the existing ones off for repairs and repainting? Advice would be much appreciated. Also, any recommended professionals in SE London would be most welcome.

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Really does depend on the state of the panels. You first need to find out if all the fixing lugs and clips are intact or if they have been broken off, and the only way to do that is to take them off. There are small fixing points at the back of the side panels that I know get broken very easily.
    Same goes for the horn panel at the front. And whether screw holes have got bigger screws in them than they should be. When those get fitted with oversize screws they tend to snap off the fixing post.
    I would suggest finding someone competant to remove the panels and inspect them before making decisions on whether to refurb or replace.