Rear Wheel Bearing?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by SimonT, Feb 25, 2010.

1. SimonT

SimonT New Member

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had a rear bearing fail on them, or one that needed replacement?

I think mines getting a bit noisier when i spin the rear wheel... sounds a little rumbly if you know what i mean.

anyone else found this?
    how hard is it to replace the bearing?

2. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    its more than likely the support bearing on the clutch (the one in the case) they fail first as its the smallest bearing in the engine spinning faster than anything.. grab the rear wheel and try move it about top to bottom, if theres any movement you need to change the wheel bearing (output shaft bearing) if theres no movement it will be ether of the 2 imput shaft bearings. as i said its more than likely the bearing in the cover

3. SimonT

SimonT New Member

Thanks man.. ill have a look and get back to you....

whats the urgency on changing it? can it fail catastrophically?

4. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    nah m8, back end would be ALL over the place long befor it fails.. plus theres a second bearing in there (in the gear plate)

ive had bikes wiht bearings that go at 70+ literally the wheel would move 4" sideways top to bottom and i STILL rode it home.... scoot output shaft bearings are atleast twice the size of big bike wheel bearings. would take ALOT for it to fail in a catastrophic way, you would have felt it months ago if it were dangerous m8.

give the wheel a little wiggle left to right from the top of the wheel... if its solid dont worry about it, just be aware you need to strip the gearbox and do a couple bearings in the future... more than likely tho its JUST that single bearing in the tranny cover... its a sealed bearing that isnt lubricated on any service sop it will be the obvious first bearing to go on the back end (the rest get oiled by the transmission fluid inside the box, this bearing sits dry and open to the elements)

dont worry, give it a little check in the morning. worst that can come of a fucked imput shaft support bearing is it lets go and you get a heavy vibration from the rear end (where the clutch is just bouncing about) if left this can kill an engine as it wil nock shit out of the rear support on the inside of the gearbox as the shaft isnt held straight, but iut takes some serious ignorance to do any damage from a gearbox bearing.

5. SimonT

SimonT New Member

haha good to know... thanks man

makes sense that its the little bearing in the case... its tiny... and would spin fast... i imagine it would get noisy if the vibration is amplified by the case itself.... this would be an easy fix :)

if its the main wheel bearings.. it will have to wait a while... i dont have time to pull the back end apart atm... still building the house.. and we have a tight deadline.

ill just keep listening to see if it gets worse... obv. im not going to be riding it if the wheel is slapping around hehe.

6. SimonT

SimonT New Member

ok... i had a bit of a listen and a feel, and im pretty sure your right minor.
    i reckon its that little bearing in the tranny case...

i wiggled the wheel... theres no visual movement, but i can feel a slight movement... im pretty sure its always done that though..... im talking the smallest movement though, so it shouldnt be a problem :p

when i fix the damage from my crash, i might give the scoot a complete overhaul anyway... including all the wheel bearings.

7. Denvoyager

Denvoyager New Member

How do I remove the bearing on the shaft? (from the wheel side)